3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Operation lift is underway [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:10 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would level mine but then when i haul my car trailer it would look pretty sad all squatted down in the back with the nose pointed at the sky
It sits level with the trailer in tow.
Those are good reasons to lift yours, I must admit.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Nice job!
The 3" lift...isn't that suppose to lift the front 3" and level the back to the front, thus giving you only 1.5" or so out back? I think the back will lift up another .25" when you do the front. Atleast it seems like it would anyway?

The temp has been low-mid 90's all week long here in upstate NY with heat index's ranging from 100-110(dew points 65-80..unheard of around here). Absolutely ridiculous. I'm 20lbs lighter in this heat since I'm so active. I'm having a hard time keeping fluids in my body and I'm already stick thin!(6'3"/180lbs)
The 3" spindle doesn't do anything for the back. With the spindle in the front and the shackles in the back, it put me pretty much dead level though.

I hear ya on the heat part. I'm feeling ill from all the heat I've endured the past three days. I can't drink water fast enough it seems LoL

Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by lxman1
I would level mine but then when i haul my car trailer it would look pretty sad all squatted down in the back with the nose pointed at the sky
It sits level with the trailer in tow.
Those are good reasons to lift yours, I must admit.
I imagine if you leveled your front, you'd have to get airbags for the rear if you tow a lot. I don't even have a receiver on my truck, so towing is limited to whatever I can pull with the bumper ball.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Matt99
Champion

Great man! And yea the spacers are a gripe! I think about removing mine all the time anyway

Old 07-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by Matt99
Great man! And yea the spacers are a gripe! I think about removing mine all the time anyway
On the one hand, it sucks my truck will not look as BA as yours, but on the other, my UCA should not hit anything with just the spindles. Guess I cannot have my cake and eat it too LoL

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 07-25-2011 at 01:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM
hdoggie24
Rookie

so you clear the spindles on the control arm completely?? im wanting these spindles to put on my 2wd 06 and love the fact that more are doing the install. i was leaning to put the 1.5 daystar spacer on with the spindle but if the rear shackle and spindle level it perfectly, then that seems like the best idea. so if going with just the spindles up front, what shocks would be recommended??? stock fitting shocks???

Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Matt99
Champion

well like I said, I think about removing mine all the time. My front is a little taller than the back now, I guess the rear shackles settled a bit. So I can afford to give up an inch in the front for a better ride. I think I might do that soon, maybe order and throw the 1.5" spacers in. My ride definately sucks compared to stock and that would help appx 103%.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by hdoggie24
so you clear the spindles on the control arm completely?? im wanting these spindles to put on my 2wd 06 and love the fact that more are doing the install. i was leaning to put the 1.5 daystar spacer on with the spindle but if the rear shackle and spindle level it perfectly, then that seems like the best idea. so if going with just the spindles up front, what shocks would be recommended??? stock fitting shocks???
As you can see in the pics, the lift spindles are the same height as the stock spindles, so the distance between the control arms does not change. If not inserting a spacer, definitely use stock-length shocks. It's yet to be seen whether my longer shocks will cause issues.

Had to drive about 5 miles to get to the alignment shop, and that was really hairy to say the least. Truck was all over the road! Every little bump in the pavement sent me either into the other lane or towards the ditch. I pick up my truck from Strouhal's tomorrow morning, and I'll try to get the after pics taken for everyone to see how it ended up.

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 07-27-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

Spacers are a PITA that's for sure. I am much more happy with the ride of my truck now that I have lowered it and ditched the spacers. It rides better then new, and I just put in new shocks up front today too. I still had the ES9000 from when I put the spacers in originally and the ride was a little stiff up front after lowering with the longer shocks. I need to get some new rear shocks, any suggestions?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Talking

As promised, some before and after pictures:

I also added a few pics to the second post for your viewing pleasure.

Thoughts and observations so far:
I -LOVE- the new shocks. There is almost no nose dive while braking, even under heavy braking (which I'll get to in a second). Makes me feel like I'm riding in a truck again. Again, for anyone on the fence about ridding yourself of the stock shocks: your stock shocks SUCK.

The stance of the truck is much improved, and it feels awesome to drive. You'd be amazed at how little actual lift makes a difference on how high you feel while in the cab.

For anyone getting the spindles, keep in mind that they are raw metal and it would be a good idea to paint them. Maybe not -necessary-, but a good idea nonetheless. Also, there is still no bolt hole for the ABS sensor wire holder. I was intimidated by this when I first heard about it. Don't be. I had a Ti bit and a high speed drill that made the required hole in less than 10 seconds. Place the holder over the mount point on the spindle, mark for the hole, drill and done.

The new brakes have a very positive feel to them. I bedded them in today, and it feels like the truck is stopping with zero effort. If nothing else, they look fantastic peeking out from behind your wheels. A great addition all-around, just don't forget to bleed your brakes after swapping the front brake lines (if applicable). I was amazed at how brown the old fluid looked, so I am glad I have new fluid in there regardless.

Quick Reply: Operation lift is underway [pics]