3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cheap Easy Way to Slightly Lift Rear of Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:47 PM
IamFrank
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheap Easy Way to Slightly Lift Rear of Truck?

I just had the Tuff Country 2" leveling kit installed and I must say, the ride is absolutely factory quality and I don't need to worry about topping out when I hit bumps because the spacers go on top of the strut mounts.

BUT it is just a hair too high in the front for me because I still want just a slight rake with the back being maybe a 1/2" higher than the front.

I'm sure there is an easy bolt-on out there that I can't seem to find so maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Last edited by IamFrank; 07-30-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, put a couple of blocks in the back. Available from 1/2" right on up to about 4" in half inch increments. Autozone has 1" blocks for like $25 a pair. Most you might need is longer U-bolts to accommodate the blocks.

You can also buy it in kit form about anywhere online like Performance Lifts for under $50 with the U-bolts:

Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 AM
IamFrank
Professional

Thanks man. I've got another question for you since you've obviously been messing around with these trucks for a while:

Now that I have a 2" level up front, are there components that seem to give out faster because of the lift? Ball joints?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2011, 01:57 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup there are. The old adage that says "you get what you pay for" holds pretty much true here. While ANY lift of the front end adds stress to components, one reason a suspension lift kit is $1000 and up is that it includes brackets that keep angles at or close to stock. A level kit or "budget boost" doesn't and while it doesn't lift the truck as high as a suspension lift kit, it tends to be even more severe on these angles.

You can expect to replace tie rod ends and ball joints sooner than you normally would, possibly U-joints and although rare that it causes a failure, it also puts a bit more strain on the front drive shaft and transfer case with the increased angle.

The more you raise it up, the bigger the chances. I don't like to see anyone go more than a 2" level...

Old 07-31-2011, 02:11 AM
IamFrank
Professional

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 PM
dnlo613
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autozone kit comes w/the u-bolts,raised my rear after putting on bilsteins.

Quick Reply: Cheap Easy Way to Slightly Lift Rear of Truck?