3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

question for the 4.56 gear owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question for the 4.56 gear owners

So I've been researching ring and pinion prices, and I've noticed pretty big gaps between brands. Seems the cheaper brands, US Gear for instance, basically state that they are NOT quiet gears, whereas a more expensive brand like Yukon state the opposite. For those currently using the 4.56 ratio, what brand do you use, and what say you about the noise they make, compared to stock (which I would consider very quiet).

Second, I do not know the very first thing when it comes to a differential; never so much as touched one in my life. As such, I will be paying for an install, and I was quoted $450-500 at my local transmission shop. While I'm sure this is an involved project, particularly for such as myself, $500 seems high to me. For those that had their gears installed by a "pro", how much did you pay?

Old 08-02-2011, 05:01 PM
nussdawg395
Veteran

Well if you look around on here 500 bones is fairly cheap. Usually your looking at a about grand for install. Also depends on 2wd or 4wd. 4wd= twice the work.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Yukon both times (4.10's and 4.88's) 4.10's were silent with no wine. 4.88's were also silent with no wine and it was used with 5k before i got them. HOWEVER i used the same installer and a lot comes down to install.
$350 each time w/ fluids. First time the guy drove to my home and was in and out in 4 hours. 2nd time i went to his house and same scenario.

Last edited by SLT8; 08-02-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
xjfever
Professional

Most shops around here charge 300 to 400 per axle for labor, then you have to add in new bearings seals, gears, fluid, and shop disposals. Labor and parts usually run 600 to 700 dollars per axle. I have used USA standard gears (which are made by Yukon), Yukon gears, and Nitro gears and have been happy with all of them. Most were 4:88 ratio's in jeep axles.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think $500 labor for a 2wd is high. I would try to stick to $300/axle, but it really depends on where you live.

I ended up with Superior Gear in the rear and they aren't noisy. I hear a slight whine around 45mph, but that's it. I got these gears new and cheap from a forum for $250 with a new master install kit. I have USAs in the front and haven't noticed any noise but honestly, I've hardly used my 4wd. I think they were about $250 as well with a master install kit.

I think if you can keep it under $600/axle including parts and labor, you're doing pretty good.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Thanks for the feedback. $300-400 sounds reasonable, and was around what I was expecting. Guess I'll need to shop around for an installer when the time comes. Anyone know of a reputable shop in or near Houston?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:07 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My local shop charges $600 per axle complete, parts & labor. They use Genuine Gear, but will get any brand you want and charge a nominal fee. They didn't do mine, I had 4 Wheel Parts do mine in '05, before I knew these guys existed. 4 Wheel Parts also used Genuine Gears in mine, quoted me stupid high when I first went in (over $2500 for 2 axles & an Auburn LSD), but got right and price matched the components and knocked a good bit off labor to knock it down to $1700.

I don't blame you for paying to have it done, to date, it's the only mod I've paid for. I've sent probably about a half dozen people to my local 4x4 shop, some forum members who live nearby, and have yet to hear a whine in any of them.

I do read a lot about US Standard and Sierra gear sets being noisy, but then I read a lot who have one of those brands who swear theirs has never had a hint of a whine. Shop owner on one of my off-road specific forums ONLY uses US Standard & Sierra in his shop and builds up some serious off-road Jeeps and says he's never had an issue with noise from either.
But when THE MANFACTURER cautions that their gears may whine, I'd kinda pick another brand, myself...

Yeah $500 for labor on a single axle, and the rear which is much easier to work on than the front on an IFS 4x4, is on the high side.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

$600 complete sounds like an awesome deal. I wish I lived closer.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 AM
areinike
Veteran

I have Motive 4.56's in my rear axle. Shop here quoted me $700 for parts and fluids minus gears which I thought was still high but it is Miami. So I tackled the feat myself. I would do it again in a heartbeat (now), but definitely go with a reputable shop. I have gear whine because I installed the set incorrectly the first time. The whine doesn't go away but to me it's bearable. Towed a 30 ft trailer to PA and back with it so I must have done something right!

Quick Reply: question for the 4.56 gear owners