3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

towing power

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:03 AM
foneguy1274
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing power

here's the deal, i have an '04 quad cab hemi 1500, 3.55 gears towing a travel trailer, i am weighing my costs here, 40K neww truck 2500 deisel, 2500$ regear or a programmer. reason is for better towing performance. granted i can hold 65 mph but on any incline or headwind im downshifting......has anybody had any similar expeiences?

thanks scott

Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

3.55's make the Ram a slug, especially with the 20" wheels(33"rubber)

A programmer will help you out some(ONLY Superchips w/trans option..others dont even compare), gears even more, but your better off going diesel if you tow alot and have many inclines to battle with. You'll likely get better mileage with a diesel as it won't work nearly as hard. Your probably smoking the crap out of your transmission too.
Travel trailers are wind barriers too, so just because the capacity is within reach, doesn't mean it won't work your truck/trans much harder as compared to a flat landscape type trailer back there.

Look HERE for capacities. I have a link in my first posting(#4)

I'd go for a used diesel rather than a new one personally. Most people who spend $40k+ on a truck tend to take special care of them because when they buy they plan on never getting rid of it. Atleast that's always the concensus that I get when talking to everyone.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can afford it and can justify the diesel if you plan to tow this on a fairly regular basis then yeah, that's your best option.

If not, then re-gearing would be a wise choice, not only will you get better performance towing, but it will significantly ease the burden and heat build-up in your transmission. Although if this is a 4x4 but you don't need a LSD upgrade, $1500-1600 is more realistic IF you shop around. If you choose to keep the gasser, I would also invest in a larger tranny pan, with cooling fins and a tranny temp gauge. The increase in fluid capacity from a larger pan will make a significant difference in keeping the tranny cool while towing...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-06-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: towing power