3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Taking the truck in to fix my exhaust that I wasted almost $400 on.. edits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:07 PM
freestyledude
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote's for an e-cutout. Check out DMH performance

Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 AM
T_Visk
Rookie

I'll try to get you guys pictures tomorrow. It's the stock muffler, then an aftermarket one, then y piped.. my V6 3.0L that had a muffler delete sounded better then this. I scheduled an appointment with him for next Wednesday so I need to have something planned by then. He said he could buy the "flowmaster" back and straighten out the pipes plus cut the other muffler out for around $50. I believe that's what he meant. Otherwise straighten out the "45s" and cut the stock for around $70. I paid for the muffler so I don't really want to take it out, and I don't want to get pulled over one night on the way home from the bars or something and get a DUI blowing a .081 for some BS exhaust being too loud. I just want it to sound good, not necessarily loud.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 PM
SLT07ThunderRoad
Rookie

Below is a picture of the "stock" exhaust components that I paid to have removed from my 07 Hemi Quad. My 07 had a front resonator, muffler, then rear resonator. All of these components were in there to keep the Hemi in a coma state. They were all removed, and 14 inch Magnaflow muffler #12198 was installed. The difference is amazing, night/day. And, I live in NY state where they have some of the most stringent inspection laws around. My truck passed with no problems. I also went through a road stop the other day where the cops were checking inspections/registrations, etc. All I did was play it smart and not tromp the throttle to draw unecessary attention while going through the road stop. I did not have a problem. Bottom line, get rid of the stock muffler and resonator if you want more agressive sound from your truck. Good luck!
Name:  IMG_7782.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  80.8 KB

Old 09-01-2011, 01:45 PM
nateroach
Veteran

TVisk, what year is your RAM? the 06+ have additional resonators (as shown in the post above) to help with the MDS flutter, but are not found on older rams. regardless you need to ditch the stock muffler. there is really no way to get an aggressive sounding exhaust that utilizes the stock muffler that is huge. if your looking for a more mellow toned exhaust that isn't too loud maybe look into the bigger Magnaflow models. I think they have a 22" or 24" single in dual out model that would be perfect for your application (thats what they use on the cat back systems).

nateroach

Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

06/07 have the front resonator, the 08 only has a muffler and rear resonator. Just a straight pipe from the muffler up the the Y behind the cats.

Name:  Canonclean-up067.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  139.0 KB

Quick Reply: Taking the truck in to fix my exhaust that I wasted almost $400 on.. edits?