3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Towing Performance Mods 03 1500 w 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you decide to go to TJ's (and I had to go somewhere down thataway yesterday and they were there working, had a HUGE lifted Cheby in the bay with what looked to be 44" or taller tires on it) he'll get the gears, install kit and everything for you and about match Moe's prices which are the best you're gonna find.
His "house brand" is Genuine G2s, which I have (lifetime warranty) and have never had a problem with to date. He'll get anything you want, but he gets like 3rd tier pricing on the Genuines.

If you're gonna order them yourself, there really isn't much difference, this mod is ALL about the quality of the installation and shimming them just right so they don't whine. But most like Yukons, Motives, Genuines or Precisions. I've heard some negative on the Richmons and the US Gears which are among the cheaper ones.

Make sure you spend a little extra and get an install kit that uses Timken bearings, the best by far...

Old 09-18-2011, 05:16 PM
flnative70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
If you decide to go to TJ's (and I had to go somewhere down thataway yesterday and they were there working, had a HUGE lifted Cheby in the bay with what looked to be 44" or taller tires on it) he'll get the gears, install kit and everything for you and about match Moe's prices which are the best you're gonna find.
His "house brand" is Genuine G2s, which I have (lifetime warranty) and have never had a problem with to date. He'll get anything you want, but he gets like 3rd tier pricing on the Genuines.

If you're gonna order them yourself, there really isn't much difference, this mod is ALL about the quality of the installation and shimming them just right so they don't whine. But most like Yukons, Motives, Genuines or Precisions. I've heard some negative on the Richmons and the US Gears which are among the cheaper ones.

Make sure you spend a little extra and get an install kit that uses Timken bearings, the best by far...
TJ's is quite a hike from where I am in Fort Lauderdale. Found a local guy who specializes in gears and rear ends. As it turns out I went to high school with him. Gears & Rears in Fort Lauderdale. Yukon ring & pinion set with new timken bearing/install kit came to about $700 w labor. I was planning on doing it this week but my radiator blew so had to have a new radiator, thermostat, and hose installed. Set me back about $400.
Has anyone ever used Monroe Sensa Trac Load Adjust Shocks in the rear? Supposedly recommended for towing??

Last edited by flnative70; 09-18-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That price is in-line, sounds like he knows his sh*t.

I haven't used any load adjusting shocks myself, although my Rancho RS9000x shocks are adjustable for firmness over 10 settings. BUT I've yet to see a shock make a lot of difference as far as handling a load.

I used to always do the "add-a-leaf" thing, but put air bags on this truck. I'll never do add-a-leafs again. They are good when loaded but make the back bounce all over the place when unladen. Bags are real deal and you can get into a good set for under $200 if you install them yourself (which can be done in the driveway in under 2 hours with simple hand tools)...

Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 PM
flnative70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated Towing Performance Numbers

I've got some updated performance on my current setup w 3:55's. Towed my airboat this weekend which is aluminum 15ft by 8ft wide with a small block chevy. Lots of drag with the cage and especially the propellor. 60mph at 2400-2500rpm is what I was getting with about 8 miles/gallon. It does not like going over 60mph. The wind definitely has a major effect. The motor was freshly rebuilt(machined the crank-new bearings-new heads-and a new computer. Wondering if the new computer might have an effect on the tranny shift points?? I've had V6's that give me better performance?? ALso I'm only getting 12mpg on highway which seems kinda low. So based on this new data 4:10's or 4:56's?? My local gear mechanic recommended 4:10's because he thinks they will be more highway friendly. What do you guys think???

Last edited by flnative70; 09-27-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: changes

Quick Reply: Towing Performance Mods 03 1500 w 4.7