3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need new tires. Give me some suggestions :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the BFG T/A KO's and I like them so far. They are a pretty good street tire. I can do with them what I did with my all seasons on the street. Haven't really used them off road yet but the one time I did they get me out of a spot of sugar sand where I had gotten stuck in the past with my old tires. If I don't get BFG's again for my next set I'll probably go with the Cooper A/T 3's as they peek my interest lol.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Marklorenzo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My nitto trail grapplers did surprisingly well in the snow in Fort Wayne IN, not so much with ice though.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Senomar_DTK
Professional

I've done a lot of searching and called 4wheel parts and thinking I might try the duratracs. Getting them in the E rating so they would be a little tougher.
It just has seemed like the best match for me and I'll give em a shot and hope I get no problems.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:28 AM
butch1581
Captain

I have trail grappplers and love em' I will be getting another set when mine get worn down

Old 09-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

Originally Posted by butch1581
I have trail grappplers and love em' I will be getting another set when mine get worn down

How many miles do you have so far on your trail grapplers so far? Somedays I look at mine and wonder why I spent so much money on tires that are wearing down, but then I look again and say....sexyyyy

Old 09-28-2011, 03:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, that's the problem with an aggressive tire on pavement. I honestly don't know how Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek does it, but I've had some fairly aggressive Mickey's for almost 70k miles and would have been longer had I not sold the truck.

MY FCIIs now have about 32k miles on them and they still gotta have 90% tread! Only thing with them Mickeys or Cepeks is they COST!!!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 PM
dlyter09
Champion

I ran Cooper Zeon LTZ on my 1500 for a while until i got my 35's. A great tire all around. No problem with the wet, mud, snow or anything. I know a few people running them on their Rams. You can get them for a very good price for a 20 inch wheel. IIRC i paid $189 a piece for mine.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM
SLT07ThunderRoad
Rookie

If you have the 20 inch rims, the Firestone Destination AT's seem like a very good option. In the Rochester NY area, you can buy them installed for approximately $200 each, and I think they have a 50,000 mile tread warranty. Many AT tires have no tread warranty at all.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Cooper A/T3's came with a 55k warranty and mine were 265 installed. size was a 265/60/r20... same exact size as OEM. I'm very happy with that choice I got aggressive look but a tire that will most definitely last.

My main decision to go with them over BFG TA's and the nitto terra's was that Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek engineers were the ones who designed the A/T3 and we all know Cepek and MT are some of the best tires out there. Also I read tons of independent reviews and all were extremely positive.. As far as all terrains go the A/T3 scored higher than the nitto's, BFG, and Toyo. So far I've got about 4k miles on them and I absolutely love them. The truck is no longer a death trap in the rain like it was with the stock suckyears.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:06 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SLT07ThunderRoad
If you have the 20 inch rims, the Firestone Destination AT's seem like a very good option. In the Rochester NY area, you can buy them installed for approximately $200 each, and I think they have a 50,000 mile tread warranty. Many AT tires have no tread warranty at all.

I got a cousin in upstate NY, but not as far upstate as you, who has the Destination A/Ts on his '08 Ram 1500 4x4 and says they are the best tire he's ever owned as far as pavement/winter/light off-roading goes. But he didn't want the inherent front end problems the coil over IFS trucks with 20" wheels have and opted for 17" wheels at the same time...

Originally Posted by Ben D.
Cooper A/T3's came with a 55k warranty and mine were 265 installed. size was a 265/60/r20... same exact size as OEM. I'm very happy with that choice I got aggressive look but a tire that will most definitely last.

My main decision to go with them over BFG TA's and the nitto terra's was that Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek engineers were the ones who designed the A/T3 and we all know Cepek and MT are some of the best tires out there. Also I read tons of independent reviews and all were extremely positive.. As far as all terrains go the A/T3 scored higher than the nitto's, BFG, and Toyo. So far I've got about 4k miles on them and I absolutely love them. The truck is no longer a death trap in the rain like it was with the stock suckyears.
Yep Bendy, first Cooper tire designed from scratch by the MT/DC engineers who came over when Cooper bought them. Ain't read a bad review on them yet. MT/DC tire engineering, Cooper tire pricing, designed and built in the USA. Hard to wrong there.

That may be the tire that replaces the Terra Grapplers on my GC when it needs it. Although it shouldn't be for some time. Although the Nittos aren't showing the longevity the FCIIs on my truck are, I still expect to see 40,000 miles out of them and they are at 18k now...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-28-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Need new tires. Give me some suggestions :)