3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

ram 1500 burns too clean

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 PM
mcHEMI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram 1500 burns too clean

after failing inspection 3 times because emissions levels were to low I took the truck to my mechanic expecting a bad leak somewhere bad he called and wanted me to come talk to him Im thinkin bad news but when I got there he told me it has no leaks and just burns too clean to get enough of an emissions level its got magnaflow dual catback exhuast system anyone ever heard of a v8 hemi burning to clean ?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
reefguy89
Captain

welcome and i havent heard of them running to clean. i guess you could take the cats out but then it might fail for to much emissions.

O and what part of de you in? in the lower sussex county.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Never heard of it either. I thought the whole idea of emissions and testing was to put LESS harmful emissions into the air? A fail for putting out too little seems like some more good old government bureaucratic bullsh*t to me...

Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

nope. its an exhaust leak. no such thing to be TOO clean you dont pass. Its usualy something like 10% under the requirement level and they automatically fail you for an exhaust leak. You wont be under by 10% on all categories at one time unless its a leak. Ex: if its not an exhaust leak and your under 10% on CO2, youll be over on NOX. GL tracking it down.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 PM
mcHEMI

I found 2 quarter sized holes and had a patch welded on both searched both pipes up to were they join the manifold and couldnt hear or feel anything like a leak went back through and got the same emissions reading minimum for DE is 6.0% it read 4.85% all three times at the dmv the mechanics checked everything that couldve caused the problem but found no leaks Il try in the morning and il go through cold maybe it will pass

reef im in lewes good to see someone else local

Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 PM
reefguy89
Captain

Originally Posted by mcHEMI
reef im in lewes good to see someone else local
nice im in laurel i know 2 other that are local to one works at the lowes in lewes he has a blue reg cab 3rd gen and another guy that lives in lewes with a tannish 4th gen.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 PM
mcHEMI

passed emissions this morning after parking it for a few hours to let it cool down it burns richer when its cold but its still to clean when its warm

Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

burns richer cold because it's dumping more fuel... cold engine needs more catalyst to positively ignite the mix..

wanna find an exhaust leak? grab up a buddy, and grab a can of seafoam.. let the seafoam suck in the brake booster slow enough not to kill the engine, and enjoy the smoke show while you talk your buddy into crawling around under the truck looking for smoke NOT coming out of the tail pipe..

are you running a programmer? you sound like your running too lean.. if not a programmer at fault, you may want to look at engine temperature sender, and/or IAT.. those two can lean out an engine.. so can your o2 sensor..

Old 09-27-2011, 04:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, although not lean enough for a CEL, my tuner on performance with it's advanced timing, long tube headers and CAI had me running lean. 180* t-stat was enough to bring it back to spec...

Old 09-27-2011, 05:49 PM
mcHEMI

o2 sensor is good havent checked air intake temp sens what other ways are there to see if shes runnin lean?

Quick Reply: ram 1500 burns too clean