3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cleaning Polished Rims, URRRR!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
sinus19
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Polished Rims, URRRR!!!

i have 22" Boss 335s and when i pulled them out of the box, the super polished lip was super shiny!! after a few car washes, the lip completely lost the shine. Ever since, i haven't been able to restore its original shine. I have tried mothers and Mcguires along with a drill and a ball with no success. I have also used vinegar. Any other ideas?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

Try the Eagle One Nevr Dull. I believe you can pick it up at about any auto parts store. Works great for me.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:02 AM
slimvela
Professional

honestly, I wouldn't know what to advise being that I do not know what type of finish you have. polished, clear coated, 'super polish', etc...use the wrong method and you'll just make it worse.

best bet is to contact Boss and follow their instructions.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Flitz - PERIOD! Single best product I've ever seen for cleaning/polishing metal.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

Originally Posted by slimvela
honestly, I wouldn't know what to advise being that I do not know what type of finish you have. polished, clear coated, 'super polish', etc...use the wrong method and you'll just make it worse.

best bet is to contact Boss and follow their instructions.
I did not even think about that lol. Ya You better contact the rim manufacturer because you could really mess something up using the wrong product...good luck to you. Let us know what they say.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The nice thing about Flitz is it works on metal, fiberglass or plastic. So it'd clean/shine bare metal rims, chormed or clear coated. It's also the single best thing I've found to get the milky, sun-bleached plastic headlight lenses clear...

Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 PM
sinus19
Veteran

thanks guys I'll try eagle one and flitz. oh and its a "Super polished" finish.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:53 PM
citori13
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Flitz - PERIOD! Single best product I've ever seen for cleaning/polishing metal.

I agree with hammer. I use flitz and it is the best stuff ever. A little expensive, but well worth it

Old 10-01-2011, 05:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by citori13
I agree with hammer. I use flitz and it is the best stuff ever. A little expensive, but well worth it

Yeah, but luckily it's just like Brylcream, a little dab will do 'ya.

Apply just a small amount, rub it in good until it actually turns the surface black then let it set just long enough to haze (only about 30 seconds or so) then rub it completely off. The sonbiotch will shine better than when it was brand new!!!

I use it on every piece of diamond plate, stainless and chrome on both of my vehicles. Nerfs, grill guard, off-road lights, wheels, exhaust tips, and even do my light lenses with it probably every three months and I still can get about a year out of one tube...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-01-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:12 PM
citori13
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah, but luckily it's just like Brylcream, a little dab will do 'ya.

Apply just a small amount, rub it in good until it actually turns the surface black then let it set just long enough to haze (only about 30 seconds or so) then rub it completely off. The sonbiotch will shine better than when it was brand new!!!

I use it on every piece of diamond plate, stainless and chrome on both of my vehicles. Nerfs, grill guard, off-road lights, wheels, exhaust tips, and even do my light lenses with it probably every three months and I still can get about a year out of one tube...

so it will clean up the lenses too? i've been trying to get those guys clean for a while now. I didn't realize you could use the flitz on other materials besides metal

yeah you definitely don't need to use a whole lot. The stuff works great with just a little amount as you said.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Polished Rims, URRRR!!!