3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Im doing 2" Bilstein 5100 Leveling, what should I do with the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stpete28
Dodge needs to work on their quality control then if it's just " depends on how it comes off the assembly line".
I'll definitely agree with that. I'm of the opinion that Daimler has done nothing good for Chrysler.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
I'll definitely agree with that. I'm of the opinion that Daimler has done nothing good for Chrysler.
Well that was three owners ago, so you don't have to worry about them anymore.

But I can't agree with you totally, yeah towards the end they let them go to sh*t, which is why I think so many guys with '07s and '08s have a LOT of problems earlier 3rd Gens didn't.

But we got the 45rfe and 545rfe from Daimler and if you EVER had a 1st or 2nd Gen Ram you'd know why Dodge used to have the reputation of the best V8s on the planet mated to the worst transmissions...

Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Well that was three owners ago, so you don't have to worry about them anymore.

But I can't agree with you totally, yeah towards the end they let them go to sh*t, which is why I think so many guys with '07s and '08s have a LOT of problems earlier 3rd Gens didn't.

But we got the 45rfe and 545rfe from Daimler and if you EVER had a 1st or 2nd Gen Ram you'd know why Dodge used to have the reputation of the best V8s on the planet mated to the worst transmissions...
I meant to write that statement in the past-tense LoL good catch. I don't have any experience with the '09+ vehicles to be able to say anything about Fiat.

Also agree with the tranny. Had a '99 4x4 with the worst transmission ever. The 5.9l in it was pretty strong, though I'm pretty neutral on the engine as a whole. Didn't make enough power for the amount of fuel it consumed, IMO.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:57 PM
vikingdiesel
Veteran

Originally Posted by nateroach
The Monroe's are called "Load Levelers"

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...odge-Ram-Truck

nateroach
These shocks can help provide up to 1,100 lbs. of additional load carrying capacity.

Is what the company says about them and they, what do out rear shocks handle? I tow about 5-6k when I do tow. So its better than my stock shocks though? I really care about the fact if it really raises the truck with NO LOAD?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I meant to write that statement in the past-tense LoL good catch. I don't have any experience with the '09+ vehicles to be able to say anything about Fiat.

Also agree with the tranny. Had a '99 4x4 with the worst transmission ever. The 5.9l in it was pretty strong, though I'm pretty neutral on the engine as a whole. Didn't make enough power for the amount of fuel it consumed, IMO.

That's true, I had a '98 Ram 4x4 with the 5.9 gasser in it, lifted and on 35" tires and it got high single digit fuel economy. Yeah it sucked gas and HP numbers were in the mid 200s BUT you gotta remember, the LA360 engine was designed in the late '60s and fuel economy wasn't much of a priority back then, especially in a truck engine and 230 HP was a lot of power out of a small block V8...

Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by vikingdiesel
These shocks can help provide up to 1,100 lbs. of additional load carrying capacity.

Is what the company says about them and they, what do out rear shocks handle? I tow about 5-6k when I do tow. So its better than my stock shocks though? I really care about the fact if it really raises the truck with NO LOAD?
There aren't ANY shocks anywhere that will raise the rear of a leaf-sprung truck.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 AM
nateroach
Veteran

There aren't ANY shocks anywhere that will raise the rear of a leaf-sprung truck.
Do some searches on DT for "monroe coil over", you will find numerous posts indicating a 1-1.5" lift in the rear using the monroe's

Originally Posted by vikingdiesel
I really care about the fact if it really raises the truck with NO LOAD?
not sure if you want the lift or not, but as I said, there are numerous posts on DT indicating that people saw 1-1.5" of lift in the rear, unloaded. if you are not wanting any lift in the rear, bags may be more to your liking.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM
vikingdiesel
Veteran

What's dt

Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 AM
vikingdiesel
Veteran

Nevermind, its dodge talk, yes they seem good and exactly what i want, i guess the only complaints from them would be that they are noisy and hopefully not overly stiff, other than that, for how cheap it is, its a no brainer

Old 11-02-2011, 11:44 AM
vikingdiesel
Veteran

One more question, is it OK that im running bilsteins 5100 front 2" shocks and the monroe load level coilovers in the rear? How will the truck ride with that setup?

Quick Reply: Im doing 2" Bilstein 5100 Leveling, what should I do with the rear?