3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

double din sony xav-60

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:30 PM
A1Cscow
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default double din sony xav-60

The other day I came along Weeds double din bezel and mentioned to my pop that i was going to put a double din in, he wants to do it to seeing as his old pioneer flip out's motor is dying. I found a couple of refurbished xav-60's for 200 on geeks.com . Does anyone have this unit or heard anything about it?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=XAV60-FB-R

Old 11-07-2011, 03:48 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

The specs sure look pretty solid for that price, although the website you linked is a little misleading. That model does not come with navigation built-in. That requires the X67 add-on. Don't know if nav is important to you or not though. Also, the 2v pre-outs are a little weak.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Ben D.
Champion

more trouble than they are worth. Every single one of them I have ever worked with was annoying as all git out. The UI is so slow and clunky you end up hating yourself because it takes ten minutes to change menus.. And don't get me started on touch screen accuracy or the boot up times...

If you want double din.. Pioneer>kenwood>alpine

sure for 200 bucks it's a bargain... but you are going to get what you pay for.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I myself am partial to the Alpine iNA-W900BT or W910 (still can't figure out the difference LoL) Amazon has them for under $900

Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Ben D.
Champion

The INA's are great but they are pricey and the audio features they have in comparison to kenwood and pioneer is kinda disappointing considering the price.

Also the alpines don't have built in bluetooth. It's a totally seperate module that must be wired in.. which from an installation standpoint is slightly annoying because it's more stuff to shove behind the dash. Also the screen needs to see a brake wire input in addition to parking brake. It's a great unit.. but does have some flaws..

For someone like me that's been in 12volt for years professionally installing an INA is no big deal.. but for a self installer the INA is without a doubt a much bigger challenge than a kenwood or pioneer.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by Ben D.
The INA's are great but they are pricey and the audio features they have in comparison to kenwood and pioneer is kinda disappointing considering the price.

Also the alpines don't have built in bluetooth. It's a totally seperate module that must be wired in.. which from an installation standpoint is slightly annoying because it's more stuff to shove behind the dash. Also the screen needs to see a brake wire input in addition to parking brake. It's a great unit.. but does have some flaws..

For someone like me that's been in 12volt for years professionally installing an INA is no big deal.. but for a self installer the INA is without a doubt a much bigger challenge than a kenwood or pioneer.
You can use the PAC TR7 to defeat the brake sensor, and there's plenty of room in the RAM's dash, or behind the glove box. When compared to the annoying firmware issues in the AVIC models that Pioneer refuses to fix, the Alpine just seems to be the better unit. I don't know anything about Kenwood, I've never researched or bought Kenwood anything.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM
A1Cscow
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ben D.
more trouble than they are worth. Every single one of them I have ever worked with was annoying as all git out. The UI is so slow and clunky you end up hating yourself because it takes ten minutes to change menus.. And don't get me started on touch screen accuracy or the boot up times...

If you want double din.. Pioneer>kenwood>alpine

sure for 200 bucks it's a bargain... but you are going to get what you pay for.
You know i heard some bad reviews and they talked about the UI being slow. what is a good unit out right now?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Ben D.
Champion

The alpine INA is a very nice unit.
The avic x930bt is nice as well.
Or kenwood DNX7160 or 6180 would be great as well.

They aren't going to be as cheap as what you were looking at but they are much much much better.

Quick Reply: double din sony xav-60