3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Selling my Ram

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:47 PM
unixfool
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my Ram

Well, more like using it as a trade-in. I'm trying to buy a 2011 Subaru WRX STI. I've had a loving relationship with the truck and it has taken care of me, especially in the winter, but it is time to let it go.

A few quick questions:

I'm using KBB to determine trade-in value and after going through the process, it comes to $10,895 for the condition and parts on the truck. It's basically stock. The only thing is, I didn't keep good maintenance records...the maintenance was done, and I'm usually organized, but in the last 3 years, I've been all over the place with work and the family (3 kids will do that to you). Does a lack of maintenance records actually bring down the value of a vehicle? And does $10,895 seem to be an OK price for a 2004 Ram Quad Cab 4x4? It has a bed liner and has the tow package, but is rather basic (it is not a Laramie)...17" rims. New tires, as well as new rear brakes and pads (fronts were replaced maybe 2 years ago, also). Has one minor door ding and some slight scratches (I did use it to haul and travel). 85K miles. About the only thing I haven't done is replace the rear pinion seal (there is some seepage on the axle)...was waiting to tackle that after Xmas. You think the dealer will account for that in a big way?

I know that I can sell it outright (on CL or newspaper ad or something) for at least $14k and realize that one always takes a hit when trading in (vs selling)...I'm OK with that.

Hell, I don't even know if this is the right place in the forums for this type of post. :/

Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer won't care about your records. They care about year, mileage, and overall condition (resellability) of the trade-in. I'd say that figure is good for trade-in but dealers will have numbers all their own.

Enjoy the Subaru -- I miss my 400+ whp family sedan:

Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 AM
unixfool
Amateur

Originally Posted by John M
The dealer won't care about your records. They care about year, mileage, and overall condition (resellability) of the trade-in. I'd say that figure is good for trade-in but dealers will have numbers all their own.

Enjoy the Subaru -- I miss my 400+ whp family sedan:

Damn...I just saw the previous post. I hadn't even noticed that anyone replied until now.

Nice car! I considered Legacies of that generation, but I wanted an extended warranty.

I traded in the truck in Nov 2011. Loved it and STILL miss it. The wife especially misses it and we just might get another once the kids are out of the nest.

I did not get exactly what I wanted for it (you're right...they had numbers all their own), but I didn't want to pass up the very lightly used 2011 STI sedan I found. They are hard to find and I waited for quite awhile before that one popped up. I could've gotten more for the truck if I'd sold it privately. The car itself had just over 5K miles on it when I bought it and has 12K now. I autocross it but haven't had the nerve to modify the engine, since it has an extended warranty.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Jareski
Veteran

That's an awesome car. What was the sticker price, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply: Selling my Ram