3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need lift advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need lift advice

Lookin to purchase a suspension lift for my 06 quadcab. Kind of stuck between Procomp Rough Country and Fabtech. Not really feelin the steep price of BDS. I do some occasional rough off roading with hunting and trail riding with buddies. Any input from y'all?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Fabtech is THE WORST lift I've seen for the '02-'05 torsion front end IFS trucks. I don't know anybody with it who wheels at all that hasn't blown a CV because of the steep angle it places them at. Dunno if their coil over kit is any better BUT Fabtech is in bankruptcy (Chapter 11) so replacement/repair parts down the road could be iffy.

Pro Comp and Rough Country are pretty simple, bargain basement kits with no real Major flaws although I know some report sagging in a short time from the Chinese made springs from both. None of the bargain kits offer full sub-frames like the higher end kits nor do they replace weak stock components like tie-rod ends etc., so I would hesitate to off-road rough with any of them.
If you intend to play hard then you probably need to start feeling the steeper prices of BDS, Skyjacker or Rancho. With suspension lift kits, I've found that you really do get what you pay for...

Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
hemiman07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 07 new with the Fabtech lift and I go off road, rough occasionally. No problems as of yet (knock on wood)! I'm talking about those fire and Jeep trails in the forests that aren't very wide. My truck barely fits width wise, it's gettin all scratched on the sides. Those trails can get pretty knarley sometimes.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by hemiman07
I bought my 07 new with the Fabtech lift and I go off road, rough occasionally. No problems as of yet (knock on wood)! I'm talking about those fire and Jeep trails in the forests that aren't very wide. My truck barely fits width wise, it's gettin all scratched on the sides. Those trails can get pretty knarley sometimes.
I've heard that the Fabtech coil-over kit treats the CVs better than their torsion front kit does, but I've not seen this kit first hand...

Old 11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

How is the Rancho lift? I've already got 5100s maxed in the front so im not sure I want at least a full 6 inches but if I do ill end up putting 38s or so on it. But I just want something for a good price that'll hold up really well for a daily driver/ offroader, any inputs/ suggestions?

Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I have the Rancho but a different kit as I have a pre-'06 torsion bar front. I chose it because only the Rancho and Skyjacker offered a full sub-frame up front instead of just a single or dual cross-member. Rancho was 4", Skyjacker was 6" and I didn't want to go more than 4" because A) I'd never go bigger than a 35" tire on an IFS truck and B) I do a lot of stuff out of the bed and loading sh*t in at 6" of lift wouldn't be fun even though I'm 6'3".

The ride has been fantastic for six years. A lot of off-road, but nothing harsh, more just getting back to the places I like to hunt and fish where most don't mess with going.

I'll say one thing for Rancho, I had a tie rod end go that came with the kit FIVE YEARS after I installed it, called Rancho inquiring about where I could purchase a replacement and they sent me TWO for free and even fed-ex'd them. Told me to go ahead and just replace both since I'd need an alignment and it would suck if I would have to replace the other and have to get an alignment all over again.

YOU DON'T SEE CUSTOMER SERVICE LIKE THAT MUCH ANYMORE!!!

Old 11-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Hmm that route sounds better... How much of a difference will blocks make more than leaf spring lifts? Oh and one more thing, skyjacker doesn't even make a suspension kit for an 06-08 that I am aware of

Old 11-27-2011, 01:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

They did at one time, I helped a buddy put a 5.5" lift on his '06 truck about three years ago. Look for D501MK for the model.

I went blocks because I went 4" so that meant only 2" blocks in the rear. Had I gone 6" I would have gone to leafs because I'm not a big fan of 4" of block height. The only real downside with 4" blocks is that in REAL heavy hauling or towing you really put some torque/flex on the U-bolt and snap it, losing the block at that height. Very rare - not real likely, but it has happened...

Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

I think skyjacker is the way to go. Should I keep the 5100s in the front and get another add a leaf or just take them off and let the lift be 5 inches front 3 in back?

Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Their kits are good, like I said I researched the hell out of suspension lifts before I did mine and it would have been Skyjacker if I was going to go 6" (torsion front kit is 6"). Rancho or Skyjacker, you really can't go wrong either way, just depends on the height you want. Only downside to both of them is the $$$, but you get what you pay for...

I think if you leave the 5100s in the front your CV angles are gonna be pretty extreme. CVs HATE angles much higher than stock...

Quick Reply: Need lift advice