3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

KC LED Lights - Thanks OhSixDakota!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a real good job up where my property is in Georgia, but I left it when my step-dad had a stroke and mom got cancer not 4 months later. Since he's passed I've been working as a golf pro for about 40% of what I was making in Georgia but getting by ok, since I had the proceeds I sold a business for in Georgia and the fact that my bills aren't that high.

Gonna be tough to find something in Florida with NASA axing something like 8000 people in this county. Mom won't like it, but I may have to go back home to find work. I have enough from the business sale to probably not HAVE to work for about six or seven years, but then I'll be old, broke and jobless, LOL...

Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
LED's can't really be measured as Lumen output like Halogen or HID so it's a difficult comparitive,
Let me start out by saying i am no light expert, but i do deal with flashlights and lighting all the time as a Firefighter and Locomotive Engineer. And here is what i have found that becomes releavent to the topic of LED lighting.

*******ly every website that sells handlights for Police and Fire Departments claim that LED's can realistically only be measured in Lumens, not candlepower. I have an LED helmet light, anglehead light on my coat, two LED flashlights (one on my uniform, one in my coat pocket) plus a large LED hand lantern and i can tell you, they are all FAR brighter then all the Halogen and Xenon bulb lights they replaced. My hand lantern for example. I had the Halogen version of what is known as a Vulcan light. I have since bought the LED version that has ONE C4 LED in it and it is much brighter and the beam goes on forever.

We even have a truck that had it's 750watt Halogen floodlights replaced with LED fllodlights that are not only brighter, but produce a much cleaner light.

Originally Posted by dirtydog
but not even the best s.m.t LED puts out halogen brightness. They do come close when multple stacked as you have. Sure, it's a pure white light, but it's not actually brighter. Much better at energy than hoggy-halogens though!
In addition to the LED lights in the FD, on the Railroad, we have LED Signals now that are so much brighter then Halogen and Incandescent bulbs that they are painful to look at. And we have many signals that are literally 3-4 miles away that we can see clearly at night at that distance.

Surefire, a well known flashlight company who makes tactical lights has pretty much discontunued all of their Xenon lights and went all LED because they are typically as bright, if not brighter and have MUCH longer run times.

Here is their current product lineup:

http://www.surefire.com/Flashlights

Notice that all LED lights are listed in Lumens for brightness. And compare a 2 cell LED light that uses one LED and then scroll to the bottom and look at the 2 cell Xenon versions. The LED lights are typically all much brighter even with a single LED. The only way the Xenon bulbs can match the LED output of the lower end 120 Lumens is when you use a high output bulb that only gives you 20 minute run time compared to 2 hours for the LED version.

Based on that info and what i have seen first hand, i think LED's have absolutley not only matched, but beaten Halogen many times over. BUT, nobody has created a headlight that is useable on a vehicle with a single LED.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it seems its not only me noticing the amount of light these things throw...

I had a guy I was following in to site today apparently notice me in his mirror as I turned the lights off.. Let me pass, then kept up with me the whole way into site (20km or so). In the parking lot he came over and thanked me for lighting the way. He said he noticed me yesterday that I had a OHC light out, and realized it was me and knew I'd be lighting the way in. We chatted about the lights a bit, I think he's looking at getting a set. He was amazed at the amount of light they throw.

Its funny, because before I put these lights on, I would follow vehicles that had good lighting the same as he did... now, I get the lead.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:32 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

really nice

Quick Reply: KC LED Lights - Thanks OhSixDakota!!