3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

new shocks.. school a brutha?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new shocks.. school a brutha?

I have an RCX 4~5" lift on a 2002 1500.. the shocks leave gaping, screaming, huge voids, and dire necessity to be changed.. the RC shocks suck...

for the front, I'm looking at:

rancho adjustables
piggy back reservoir, rancho adjustable standard, or Bilstien 5100... thoughts or experience to share with these would be sweet!!!

for the rear, I run super lift easy ride 3"+ leaves.. I'm at a total loss as what to run.. these maybe? here ?? I'm confused because I don't know if I should neglect positive travel by going with a longer shock, or negative travel by going with a shorter.. it seems topping out would be more damaging and dangerous than bottoming out.. those progressive spring rates of the easy rides seem to make bottoming out kinda difficult..

anything you guys have to share, especially experience would be most appreciated!

oh, and yes, I have a coupon and a gift card for autoanything, but I don't have to blow it on shocks.. it was just the simplest place to show the links..

Old 12-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bilsteins and I love em man. Those Ranchos look tooo good though, wish I had the money to step up to those

Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 PM
drewactual
Champion

well, truth is truth- i just want them for the bling.. but, it would be nice to dial in what i need when i need it.. i have a pretty good grip on suspension in other applications, but not auto's.. I dig Fox Racing and other adjustable coil over air systems, but dood- me isn't spending that kinda dough yo.. most of the purchase price will be offset by the gift card, and that is the only reason they are on the list..

tell me about the 5100's.. good ride? linear or progressive ramp? have you smacked bottom or topped out?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Before I had em installed I had stock suspension. Put the Bilsteins on and it got alot stiffer, mainly cause I don't think the shocks were ever replaced when I got it. Got the adjustable struts and rear shocks and they havn't failed me. I'm used to a rough ride with aggresive mud tires though so its not bad, it ain't a caddy. I've flexed out, bottomed out, done about everything with em, even hit a little jump or 2 haha! For the money, I'd say do it man.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 PM
drewactual
Champion

i keep hearing good things about the 5100's... mebbe that's my huckleberry.. save some $$ in the process is never a bad thing.. how about the rears? do you have any lift in the back? blocks or anything? how long are the ones you got?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Nope, stock in the rear so its level. Im tryin to get a real lift kit for christmas though and it'll be 6 front 4 rear. All depends on what you want to do with your truck though. I hunt, haul, tow, trail ride and everything and I like how it sits but she needs to be up in the air a lil more.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

For the Bilsteins, is it the same part/shock for the '02-'05 as it is for the '06+?

I had some ordered, but then 4WheelParts couldn't/wouldn't tell me what I needed, exactly, for my truck since the Bilstein 5100's they advertise are shown for the '06+ front suspension, while we have the torsion front end. I put some parts up here before from the Bilstein website, but those numbers don't match with what Hammer has in the shock part number thread...

Old 12-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Couldn't tell you. I just searched for my year model and what not. might wanna try that, hopefully you'll get your answer

Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Nah, I know that the adjustable 5100's aren't for our trucks. However, I know that torsion front guys DO have Bilstein 5100 shocks on their fronts. I guess Bilstein makes an adjustable and a non-adjustable 5100. I don't know what the difference is in model number, or how to find it. Someone told me that the shocks for the 2500 will work, but I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on which parts those are. I found what I thought would work from the Bilstein website, but didn't get any responses here. It's buried on the board somewhere, now. I'd have to search it out again.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Catchin Zs
Professional

What they probably do is crank the torsion bars then put non adjustable 5100s I'd guess..

Quick Reply: new shocks.. school a brutha?