3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Quieting my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:07 AM
RAM_05
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quieting my exhaust

I know it's pretty much blasphemous to want to quiet an exhaust, but I am getting sick of mine on the highway. I have an 05 5.7 with a Magnaflow SI SO and the drone is awful. It gets to the point that you can't have a normal conversation with anyone. I can deal with it, but the GF can't.

What are the options? I know I can put in a resonator or glasspack, anything else? I can go back to stock, but if I can just get rid of the drone I'd rather have a slight upgrade over stock.

Would switching to a dual out and exit out of the rear do anything? Currently it exits out behind the passenger side tire.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Lifttruck
Rookie

I have a similar Gibson system on my '02 QC. It exits the same spot in the stock location. You can hear it in the cab but I wouldn't describe it as a drone. Of course everyones perspective on exhaust notes are different.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 AM
RAM_05
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lifttruck
I have a similar Gibson system on my '02 QC. It exits the same spot in the stock location. You can hear it in the cab but I wouldn't describe it as a drone. Of course everyones perspective on exhaust notes are different.
You could be right, but I would call it drone. It sounds fine until you are cruising at 70 on the highway. It vibrates everything in the truck. Like I said I could care less, but for some reason my girlfriend likes to talk when we are driving somewhere.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Lifttruck
Rookie

Is your system aluminized or stainless steel & what guage (thickness) is the pipe & muffler steel?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 AM
RAM_05
Rookie

It is a stainless cat-back from Magnaflow (probably shouldn't have said that earlier). I have no idea what the thickness of the material is. I looked on the Magnaflow site and don't see it listed anywhere. It is probably about 3 years old by now.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 PM
contractors Hemi
Rookie

Check out my post in the thread above titled " magnaflow exhaust getting on my nerves"

Old 01-06-2012, 09:18 PM
extremis
Professional

Do you have a cold air intake? I tried quieting my truck down after I got it. (already had CAI, exhaust). It was not the muffler so much for interior noise as it was the intake system. My dogs hated it, especially on mountain grades pulling the RV. Mirrors all shook, even hard on my ears. After I put a factory airbox back on, its nice inside again. So when you want it quiet, drop the airbox back in. I got one off craigslist for $50... sold the AFE open filter for $100.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:05 AM
Lifttruck
Rookie

I have a CAI as well as a Gibson catback and headers on my '02. Plus I tow mymy race rig. I stand by my previous post in this thread. I wouldn't describe the sound in my cab as a drone. The exhaust has a very nice note.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 AM
RAM_05
Rookie

Nope, no CAI.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM
RAM_05
Rookie

Originally Posted by contractors Hemi
Check out my post in the thread above titled " magnaflow exhaust getting on my nerves"
Yeah, I saw yours, but I think because you have MDS it is a little bit of a different situation.

I am just curious if I switch to a dual out and do a rear exit (behind the bumper) if that will help eliminate any additional noise. Or I just add a resonator.

Quick Reply: Quieting my exhaust