3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pacesetter LT's with cats 2005 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter LT's with cats 2005 4wd

Who has pictures of how the Pacesetter LT's look using cats on a 2005 4wd? I've been able to find pics of 2wd fitment and stock cats thanks to truckin151 but I cannot seem to find any for 4wd on the 2005 with 5.7 engine. (Nice pics by the way... very detailed and system fitment looks GREAT!)

I want to know what to expect with the Pacesetters and how close to them I can have the cats installed. The transfer case and front drive shaft appear to be in the way to install cats in the same positions as the 2wd. It almost looks like I would have to change to a single cat after the y-pipe in order to have enough room, which I am reluctant to do.

If anybody can show me how they were able to keeps the cats on an '05 4wd with LT's, I would really appreciate it! If someone has pics of different LT's and cats, please answer as well.

If I had to change to a single cat, who has done this and which one did they use? Any issues with it?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to install them soon, just not sure when. I have the same headers and Y pipe as truckin and I have 4WD. I bought 2 thunderbolt 415300 cats so I'm going to make them work.

The first bend on the Y pipe (driver's side) is very close to the transfer case. When I first installed the Y pipe it actually rubbed the transfer case, but I've since moved it around so it clears ok.

Without looking at it, I don't know how much width is there for the cats but I think it will work out.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I HAD some but they went bye-bye when my old laptop's HDD too a sh*t. I'll try to get under my truck and snap some pics this weekend. I know the pipes and such won't look as good as they did in '05 when I installed my headers, but you'll be able to see, anyway. It's an '04 but essentially no different than an '05.

As far as the single cat goes, you'll have to deal with what to do with the second post cat sensor, never tried it, dunno if you can just stick both in the same tube after the cat or have to non-fouler one of them or what...

Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 PM
ron333
Captain

Thanks guys! I look forward to seeing the pics.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok, not sure exactly what you want to see so we'll start here:

headers:
Name:  HPIM2943.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  92.3 KB

collector to cat (very similar to Truckin' but my cats are just after the crossbeam:

Extended Pre-cat O2 and if you look in the extreme upper right you can just see the tip of the Post-cat O2:

Name:  IMG208.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  170.1 KB

After that it's just the normal driver's side crossing over like stock, a little better flowing "Y" than stock but in the same location (can't get a good pic of the "Y" as it's obscured by a skid plate), then into my CB Extreme muffler and out to the dual tips...

Name:  IMG207.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  126.6 KB

Old 02-25-2012, 02:11 PM
ron333
Captain

Thanks Hammer! I guess to be more specific, I'm looking for where the collectors are positioned on both sides, then where the cats are installed, and how the pipe after the driver side crosses over to meet the y-pipe... The driver side is where it looks like I'll run into problems because of the transfer case. It just looks too tight for the cat to fit there.

I'm going out now to take a look at the position your picture shows the driver side cat, and what the other side looks like in that area as well. Where does that crossover take place? (is it in the original location or moved back?)
Very good pics by the way! Thank you.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 PM
ron333
Captain

I just took a look at the same location it appears that you have the driver-side cat. The passenger side has plenty of room as I figured, but the driver side just looks really tight. There may be enough room for the cat just behind the cross-member and really close between the transfer case and frame, but the 90* following it would have to be really short in order to cross over to the passenger side in order to avoid another obstacle. Also, there is a wiring loom that runs along the frame rail that would have to be relocated to the other side of or it will get cooked for sure. I also see a hard line that I'm guessing is either the fuel line or brake line. It might be high enough to be ok, but it will have to be verified if the cat ends up there to be safe.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:57 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

With you living in FL and no inspections, have you through about just leaving them off?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 PM
ron333
Captain

Yes I have given it some consideration, but that would cause it to lose too much of a loss in low-end torque. Besides, I'm kinda liking the lack of fumes the cats provide as opposed to how my 2nd Gen smelled. That's one of the things I quickly realized after I sold it and got this one. I found it to be more of a pleasant surprise than I would have ever thought. I no longer have to worry about fumes getting in the cab and my 5 month-old choking on them.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Well Ive got no cats obviously and i only smell fumes when im behind the truck. I can sit at a light all day and be fine. But my pipes exits under the bumper also. I dont park in a garage so I dont have to worry about ventilation of fume build up

Quick Reply: Pacesetter LT's with cats 2005 4wd