3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2004 Dodge Ram Aux/Head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Dodge-or-Ram-it
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Ram Aux/Head unit

I am looking for a way to upgrade my headunit, or add an aux input to my stock infinity system without butchering my truck. I have read some stuff that says after market head units wont fit in the 2004 dodge ram because its shaped different? I am not looking for a crazy after market stereo system, I would just like to maintain the sound I have with the stock infinity system, while having an Aux. input for an MP3 player. If anyone can shed light on this or that knows a head unit that will fit, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

the head unit shouldn't matter as long as its small enough to fit in the space, pick what ever you want. The biggest thing is the mounting kit, it will have a plate to cover the hole between your new headunit and the surrounding to the factory dash. Just make sure the mounting kit is for your year of truck and you should be golden.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Dodge-or-Ram-it

Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979
the head unit shouldn't matter as long as its small enough to fit in the space, pick what ever you want. The biggest thing is the mounting kit, it will have a plate to cover the hole between your new headunit and the surrounding to the factory dash. Just make sure the mounting kit is for your year of truck and you should be golden.
Awesome, thanks. So I will be able to keep the infinity speaker set up the same, and be able to just change the head unit that simple? I've never done this so im fearing opening a can of worms.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is the section you need to go through
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...lectronics-16/

You need a wiring harness thats not all that cheap for the Infinity sound($80). You can get it at any online store like SonicElectronix or Crutchfield. Do a search on their site and you'll find what you need.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Last year I put an alpine CDE-103BT with blue tooth (new $86) in mine that I bought new in the box from ebay. Used a wire harness adapter METRA CH6001 ($5), dash adaptor METRA 99-6504 ($12), and antenna adapter 40-CR10($7). Have to shop around! I didn't have infinity, so you'll probably need a different wire harness adapter.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Big Pete
Amateur

Originally Posted by Dodge-or-Ram-it
I am looking for a way to upgrade my headunit, or add an aux input to my stock infinity system without butchering my truck. I have read some stuff that says after market head units wont fit in the 2004 dodge ram because its shaped different? I am not looking for a crazy after market stereo system, I would just like to maintain the sound I have with the stock infinity system, while having an Aux. input for an MP3 player. If anyone can shed light on this or that knows a head unit that will fit, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!!
Do you have an Ipod style mp3 player or another brand? I bought an adapter from Bestbuy that plugs into the CD changer port on the stock radio. It was expensive 180 for the unit but very easy to install.(10 min in the parking lot with a crappy screwdriver) To finish off the install I drilled a half inch hole in the back of the stock storage compartment that is under the radio to run the wire through.

Ipod adapter
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iSimple+...&skuId=9835512

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...eripheral.html

RCA adapter
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...HRY02-AUX.html

Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Of course you could also go with a nice double DIN and have all the add-ons and options you want and it would look like it belongs there. They look a lot better than motorized flip outs or single dins

Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Dodge-or-Ram-it

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Of course you could also go with a nice double DIN and have all the add-ons and options you want and it would look like it belongs there. They look a lot better than motorized flip outs or single dins
Would that fit without the special harness? lol. Not sure if it helps, but mine is in the single cd, with the tape deck.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You still need the same harness(s) but also need a custom double din bezel and i just to happen to know a guy that makes a lot of them and does excellent work.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 AM
lyndo
Rookie

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram Aux/Head unit