3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Seafoam/maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have fun with the plugs dude!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dead2Fall
Have fun with the plugs dude!
Yeah, not fun. I have decided it's worth the $300 (price includes the plugs) to have the dealer do it. Even my buddy who has the same truck as me and did the plugs himself once has said never again. And the great thing about having a dealer do work on your truck is if they break or screw anything up, it's their problem, not yours. That paid for itself with me ten fold when i had a Chevy Tahoe and brought it in to have the Master cylinder changed. It' an easy repair i would have done myself, but i had no time. When i picked the truck up i saw what looked like melted plastic all over the front of my drivers side headlights, turn signals and bumper. I popped the hood and saw the top of the grill was cracked and somebody had went overboard with Krazy Glue. I walked back in and got the service manager who agreed it was not right. And since you cannot clean off that residue... I got a brand new grill, drivers side headlights, turn signals and new front bumper (the bumper was factory painted, not chrome).

Old 03-11-2012, 01:36 PM
itshemitime
Amateur

Geez. Everyone seems to be scared about the plugs. Surely it can't be that big of a pain in the butt. I haven't changed the plugs on my dodge before but i've changed them on multiple other vehicles. I guess we'll see lol.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Not scared, they are just a pain in the ***.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:27 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

The plugs are a PITA on the Ram. Much easier on the LXs. Figure 3-4 hours to swap out all 16.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Arctodus
Captain

I didn't think they were that bad. If you have the right tools and the right beer the time flies by fast, took me a little over 2 hours for all 16.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM
robinsonfam1
Rookie

since ram is new to me i just changed the plugs.

took me 1.5 hrs. other than it being hard to reach cuz everything is so high up and long reach its really no big deal. that included removing TB and a severe scrubbing on it. i did unclip the egr tube at rear of TB/intake to give more wiggle room on pass side.

need: 2) 3" extensions, socket wrench, spark plug socket, and a u-joint just to make hand turning easier (not for torqing down), but does provide extra finger grip on cyl 7 and 8. on cyl 6 i used a 12" extension by evap can to save my short reach again. and a 10mm for coil packs.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
itshemitime
Amateur

Originally Posted by Arctodus
I didn't think they were that bad. If you have the right tools and the right beer the time flies by fast, took me a little over 2 hours for all 16.
Ah yes. Nothing like going into 7/11 covered from head to toe in grease because you ran out of beer in the middle of a job.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM
fishhawk64

Dont want to run out of beer-lol. and by the way for sure do not buy fram, if you have a run down car or truck and dont care so be it, there cheap and made cheap-just fyi, walmart bought most of fram so think about it. Walmart likes cheap things to sell.

Quick Reply: Seafoam/maintenance question