3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Seafoam/maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 PM
itshemitime
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam/maintenance question

My truck is sitting at 46k miles atm. Bought some seafoam to try to clean it up a bit. When using it for the crankcase do you use it in the process of an oil change and just let it drain through or actually put it in with the oil? And for the fuel i'm assuming that you just dump a bottle in with a full tank of gas? Any other suggestions as far as maintenance at 46k miles? I change my oil every 5k and use mobil 1 synthetic and a fram tough guard filter. Just changed my brake pads and doing the plugs soon.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Originally Posted by itshemitime
My truck is sitting at 46k miles atm. Bought some seafoam to try to clean it up a bit. When using it for the crankcase do you use it in the process of an oil change and just let it drain through or actually put it in with the oil? And for the fuel i'm assuming that you just dump a bottle in with a full tank of gas? Any other suggestions as far as maintenance at 46k miles? I change my oil every 5k and use mobil 1 synthetic and a fram tough guard filter. Just changed my brake pads and doing the plugs soon.

I personally wouldn't put it in my oil, just my opinion I don't like putting stuff in my oil. When I seafoam I warm up the truck, kill engine, take the vacuum line off the brake booster cylinder, restart it, pour about 5 ounces into a different container and let the line sip it up veryyyyyyy slowly. Try not to stall it. Cut the engine once it sucks up the 5oz. Let it sit 15 mins. Dump the rest into a mostly full tank and start her up. Rev it pretty good then take it for a few aggressive laps.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Oh and stop using fram filters. They suck.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 PM
itshemitime
Amateur

what filter should i be using? I was under the impression fram was a solid brand.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

WIX, royal purple, mopar, purolator do some research mang, alot of info here!

Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 PM
itshemitime
Amateur

Alright will do. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Napa Gold = Wix, very good filter and easy to find

Old 03-11-2012, 01:33 AM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

You can get the Mobil 1 filters that are rated for 10k miles to go along with the oil your running. I still change it at 7,500 but it's nice to have some leeway. If you pour any in your crankcase, do 1/3rd a can and drive 30 miles. Then change your oil. It will start to thicken up somewhere around 100 miles so 30 is a safe spot while cleaning up the crankcase. If you decide to pour 5oz in the brake booster vacuum line, you would want to change your spark plugs right after. So u can do a 1/3 in the crank, a 1/3 in the vac line, and the rest in your tank, drive 30 miles and do an oil and plug change. That will keep you clean and without issues down the road.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:20 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itshemitime
With the directions right on the can, why "assume" anything? 1/3 of a can slurped through the brake booster, 1/3 in the crankcase before draining and 1/3 of the can in the tank.

At 46K, it is time for plugs. Clean the PCV valve and the throttle body. The diff fluid needs changing by now (every 15K "by the book").

Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, do not use that Fram filter. I use Mobil Filters because they were rated one of the highest and my nearest Auto Parts store stocks them.

Here is an excellent filter review:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

As for the Seafoam. As someone else pointed out, i am not a fan of adding anything to the oil. If you have been consistent with your 5k oil changes always using Mobil 1 and use a quality air filter i see no need to do any sort of oil system flush. You likley don't have any sludge issue to begin with.

My suggestion is run two tankfulls of Techron fuel treatment to clean your fuel system. Then get your plugs done, change (or clean, but i just assume replace) the PCV valve. Remove and clean the throttle body. That should help clean things up a bit.

I use Marvel Mystery Oil every 5 tankfulls as a preventative measure.

Quick Reply: Seafoam/maintenance question