3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Grill Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, I can't think of a single state in the US where you WON'T get a ticket for having aftermarket lights on during the day. This one will give you a ticket just for running ANY aftermarket lights mounted higher than the centerline of the headlights simply uncovered on the road - even if they are off.

If you don't want a switch, then consider running them off a wireless relay and use that to turn them off/on. I use one in my Grand Cherokee and then programmed my unused HomeLink button to turn them off/on. Since HomeLinks come with three buttons and all most people use is one for the garage door, that's always an option if so equipped...

Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already had a 40amp relay involved, and every inch of wire was replaced with 14ga. 25a blade fuse inline from battery, 30a inline fuse from 12v switched power lead. Decided to add a 30a rocker switch today thinking about sitting with the radio on before I even saw your post lol. Came out real nice. I think replacing the 55w bulbs it came with would have made a decent difference, but the 100w's look fantastic.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I wouldn't put power with anything over 30W to a dash switch, that's how dash fires start.
Originally never was a dash switch, the ignition was the switch turning on the relay. Now it's double switched, ignition and a rocker.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

ALSO: LOOPHOLE!
(3) Any vehicle may be equipped with flashing lamps which may be used for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing, and when so equipped may display such warning in addition to any other warning signals required by this section. The lamps used to display such warning to the front shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and shall display simultaneously flashing white or amber lights, or any shade of color between white and amber.

No officer those are my flashing lamps used for warnings. We are in deer country afterall sir.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run my 27w LED grille lights night and day, and they are mounted to the top of the grille, not the bottom bar.

Also, I am a Police Explorer in my Town, and follow/drive by cops all the time with the lights on and don't get a single glance.

Just so you know, from CT

Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Speaking of LED lights, I replaced the interior bulbs with SMD LEDs. Now the interiors wont turn on via push switch unless I have the roller switch next to the headlamp switch in the 2nd to highest position, the one before the bed light. anything below that they get a little brighter but they arent "on". Also with the key off they stay very dimly lit. Do I need a resistor or?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

NVM got it they need a 150OHM 1/2 Watt resistor so it seems. Looks like a shack run is in order tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KasperR34
I run my 27w LED grille lights night and day, and they are mounted to the top of the grille, not the bottom bar.

Also, I am a Police Explorer in my Town, and follow/drive by cops all the time with the lights on and don't get a single glance.

Just so you know, from CT

I mounted a set of Hellas on the grill guard on a friends truck (actually a member and former moderator on this forum) and on his way home, at 4pm in the afternoon, with his lights OFF, he was pulled over by a state police officer. The officer asked him if he had the light covers in the vehicle and allowed him to place them on the lights on the side of the road and only gave him a warning but informed him it's illegal to have his lights uncovered while operating on the highway even if the lights were off and he would have ticketed him had he not had the covers on him to put on...

Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Damn southern cops. He's lucky the cop didn't do the cliche' "you have a light out" SMASH.

Quick Reply: Grill Lights