3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Taking on Water

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 PM
08Hemi4K
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking on Water

I've got an '08 QC and while cleaning out the back seat this morning, I opened up passenger side storage cover and found 2''-3'' of water in the compartment. I just got back from Texas Sunday night where it rained on us for 4 days straight.

Does anyone have any idea where this water can be coming from? My guess is it's coming in from behind the back seat somehow, other than that...I'm baffled.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Rear window Leak...Most times this is cause by th 3rd brake light not being sealed properly. Best bet is to remove the lightand squirt RTV sealant and remount the light. This is all that your local dodge dealer will do for this fix. Save yourself time and do it yourself. There is also a TSB regarding the rear window seal, but this is far less common than the 3rd light leaking.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

A common problem. I think the two big places to check are the 3rd brake light assembly and the sliding rear window area. If you do a search there should be a lot of threads on that problem, also with more fixes to check as well. I don't remember too many of the details with them because I've been lucky with mine not leaking.

BTW, don't be hating on our rain, we need it all after the drought last year LOL

Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 PM
08Hemi4K
Professional

Thanks fellas...I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Casey...not hating on the rain cause I know you guys need it, but trying to hunt hogs in the rain was a bit of a PIA

Old 08-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just noticed this issue in my truck too, and I am wondering if anyone can send me a link to the TSB posted by Dodge?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, my 3rd brake light leaked once. I tightened the screws on it a bit and never had another issue out of it

Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Felix
Cool Felix

new to the whole forum thing so please forgive my ignorance, I catch on quick.I joined because I have the same problem.I have a ram1500 4x4 4 door with rear slider and during tropical storm Isaacs my kids were in the back of the truck hollering the were getting wet. The water was coming from the back two corners where the window meets the ceiling,after thinking about it I now know the musty smell from day one was not just me forgetting to close the back window. I will check the light since that seems to be the condenses.Thanks guys & gals Felix

Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Fav40
Professional

I had this issue too. I've got an aftermarket LED 3rd brake light and just clear siliconed it. I back into my driveway.....which is up hill. No leaks since.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Toefur
Professional

Originally Posted by Izero
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just noticed this issue in my truck too, and I am wondering if anyone can send me a link to the TSB posted by Dodge?
This a link to all the Dodge TSB's
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html

Quick Reply: Taking on Water