3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

high mileage survey

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:48 AM
TheFist
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the lifetime engine warranty for original owners only? Mine uses about a quart of oil every 1200 miles. If I can do something about it, I'd like to.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:46 AM
omextreme
Rookie

The lifetime powertrain warranty does NOT transfer. It is for original owner only.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:11 PM
TheFist
Veteran

Thanks. Figured that was probably the case.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:22 AM
MOPAR78
Veteran

My 05 Hemi has over 358,000 miles on the original motor and is still running strong.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Rkymtnh
Professional

Originally Posted by MOPAR78
My 05 Hemi has over 358,000 miles on the original motor and is still running strong.
Now that's a lot of mileage on an '05. Quite impressive.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:23 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta compare apples to apples.
For a 3rd Gen with a 5.7L.....My own truck @ 15,500miles.

I dont know anyone who owns another Dodge truck. So, my own truck is only one I can use for comparison. Since my truck is used for specialty only, it has low miles.
at 15.5kmi it has it's fair share of problems already...

Now I used to detail awhile back and every dodge truck that came it with around 100kmi, would smoke at start-up with lots of blow-by... Those are the 2nd Gen trucks w/5.9L.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 AM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Gotta compare apples to apples.
For a 3rd Gen with a 5.7L.....My own truck @ 15,500miles.

I dont know anyone who owns another Dodge truck. So, my own truck is only one I can use for comparison. Since my truck is used for specialty only, it has low miles.
at 15.5kmi it has it's fair share of problems already...

Now I used to detail awhile back and every dodge truck that came it with around 100kmi, would smoke at start-up with lots of blow-by... Those are the 2nd Gen trucks w/5.9L.

Were your problems engine related or something else?

Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFist
Were your problems engine related or something else?
Main one yea..
Hemi KNOCK, wouldnt exactly call it a tick. Fu>ker knocks. Started ticking at 400miles and got louder and louder. I have lifetime waranty so I'll run it till I sell it or until there's a problem. No way I'm letting a mechanic tear apart a bone dry engine to replace the exhaust valves. I'll prob have nothing but problems after.
My Rack is leaking at the bellow
It shimmy's terribly every now and again on the highway. I think it's tierod(rack) related
Had a bad Cluster
Stock battery only lasted 3yrs
bumpers are rusting a fairly good amount on the backside(truck has been washed everytime it touched salty roads..yes I spray under and behind bumpers. Not a spec of rust anywhere else)

Just typical Dodge Ram issue's. I never had my hopes set high for this truck. It was the cheapest truck pricewise and proves to be so quality wise as well. I'm just glad I use it sparingly. It's still the sharpest truck for the year and I still like it over other brands. I haven't been let down because my hopes were never super high..lol

Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM
TheFist
Veteran

I'm middle of the road I guess. I got mine used and took it only because the dealer gave me the most on trade-in on à very problematic ford 6.0 diesel.

I've gone through two water pumps a seal in the front end and a different seal on the rear, ball joints and a minor trans issue that was a cracked filter. I think that may have happened during a previous service. It uses a quart of oil about every 1500-2000 miles. Drivers side seat is tearing. The trans has always shifted funny but there hasn't been anything found wrong.

The front end goes out of alignment easily and has never felt very solid but at least I haven't had the death wobble.

The truck has never left me stranded . However it will definitely be the last dodge I ever own.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM
clifford the red dodge

You guys would die if you had to drive and work on your own truck anyplace rural.dont move to wyoming... any truck needs work on a regular basis. I put 25,000 miles a year, easily on any truck, of course some things will wear out. If the engine knocks, however, I would figure out why, and fix it, not keep running it till I was stranded 100 miles from the nearest town on a high mountain road. But that is just me... I dont drive till it blows, I do real maintenance on my truck, and when I am way out in the back country, I am confident I will get home...

Quick Reply: high mileage survey