3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Power Slot VS. PS Cryo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Power Slot VS. PS Cryo?

Is the Cryo rotor worth the extra (average I've seen) $40.00/rotor? I'm trying to do the Power Slot/Hawk combo, and saw these.

Hawk pads: Do they only make ceramic pads for the front? I can't find a single site on the internet that sells rear Hawk Performance ceramic pads. Any issues with ceramic up front and the HPS (blue box) in the rear?

Finally, anyone ordered from AutoAnything before? They are the best prices I'm finding online right now including shipping charges. Shipping is what is killing me...

Old 03-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Cooljay12
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered a Magnaflow Y pipe from AutoAnything, easy transaction over the phone, item was shipped the same day and it arrived today. I placed the ordered 2 days ago on the 27th so shipping was pretty quick. As long as it fits, no complaints.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

If you plan on pushing some serious power in the future or do major towing then go for the cryos. If its more of a daily driver with some light off roading then the reg ps will work just fine. I'm not certain about different pad compounds up front and rear, but me personally, would buy matching pads all around.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Thanks, all. First, AA replied and they do not ship to APO's, so that pretty much scratches them off the list. Kind of defeats the benefit of free shipping if I have to ship it to a Stateside address, then still pay to have someone else ship it over here. I'll find what I need, it just may take longer than I wanted it to.

Dude, that's what I was thinking on the PS/Cryo thing. I plan on going with regular Power Slot rotors. As for the brake pads, even the Hawk website doesn't show rear ceramics. I'd really like ceramics up front due to the lower brake dust production.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Rio94gt
Professional

I ordered my powerslot rotors from amazon. Great price and free shipping. As for pads, I went with ebc green stuff all the way around. My current set has good stopping power and relatively low dust. Got them from amazon as well.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

I agree that ceramic pads are great to keep down on dust, the only problem I see with running two different compositions is the heat index at which they grip. A ceramic pad performs best when much hotter than reg pads and I don't know what effect it might have when you're rear brakes clamp harder earlier and the front brakes harder than the rear once heated up. Also the break in procedure is different so it'd be hard to effectively do front and rears correctly. Maybe look for a different company that offers front and rear ceramic pads, or call hawk and ask a tech if it's ever been a problem. Like I said before, I don't know for sure it's an issue but it just seems a little sketchy.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by Dudemanbrother
I agree that ceramic pads are great to keep down on dust, the only problem I see with running two different compositions is the heat index at which they grip. A ceramic pad performs best when much hotter than reg pads and I don't know what effect it might have when you're rear brakes clamp harder earlier and the front brakes harder than the rear once heated up. Also the break in procedure is different so it'd be hard to effectively do front and rears correctly. Maybe look for a different company that offers front and rear ceramic pads, or call hawk and ask a tech if it's ever been a problem. Like I said before, I don't know for sure it's an issue but it just seems a little sketchy.
Hmmm... really good points on the front/rear compositions.

Amazon was going to be my next stop, actually. I'll probably look them up tomorrow.

Thanks, again.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dudemanbrother
I could be wrong but, don't all Rams come standard, with anti-lock rear brakes making this a moot point?

Last edited by MoparPaul; 03-31-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

It's not really a concern of the brakes locking up as it is a heat index separation. If the abs had to activate it would pulse brake pressure with whatever is installed, but under normal driving conditions is more what the discussion is about.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparPaul
I could be wrong but, don't all Rams come standard, with anti-lock rear brakes making this a moot point?
Yes but the front brakes do most of the stopping. The rear is for when you really need stopping power. If you ever look you'll see the front wheels get more dirty from brake dust than the rears.

Quick Reply: Power Slot VS. PS Cryo?