3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New Tires... Which Ones?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires... Which Ones?

I drive a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD and I will be needing some new tires pretty soon. I do 95% of pavement driving because its a 2WD and my daily driver, but when I go mudding or drive around my property I need a tire with some grab. I have looked at the SS-M16, Trail Grappler, and the Open Country M/T. I'm open to any suggestions. I'm not hooked on mud tires and I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. Im 17, so Im not looking to spend a bunch of money, and I want the most life but also the most performance offroad and onroad. Kinda hard to understand but I figure you guys would be able to help. All Terrain or Mud Terrain and which tire preference? I have 20" Fuel Hostage wheels and Im leveled 2" so I would like 35s if possible, if not then 34s or 33s.

Thanks,
Logan

Old 03-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Rio94gt
Professional

Sorry man but any 20" tire that's a 35 is gonna cost some serious $$$$$. A set of 35x12.5x20 trail grapplers are gonna set you back a good $1400 bucks. I really like my terra grapplers. They are slightly cheaper than others and have a good lifespan.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie

Yeah I understand that its gonna cost me around there, and I probably wont be getting any for a few months, but I know I will need some sooner or later and I wanted to know which ones. But yeah, my friend has Terra Grapplers and I love them, I just didn't know if there were any other tires that are a little more aggressive with the same tread life

Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You're not gonna want to hear it but losing the 20" wheels is the best thing you can do. First of all, you can buy good 17" wheels AND 35" tires for what 35x20s are gonna cost you.

Secondly, you'll get better fuel economy. Third, with a 2WD airing down the rear tires is very critical for mudding and with 20" wheels you just can't air down enough because you won't have enough sidewall for a decent footprint or decent floatation unless you start getting up into a 38"+ tire.

BTW the Terra Grapplers are a really good A/T tire, especially for the money. I have them on my Grand Cherokee 4x4 but I can tell you this, at 28k the thread is showing more than double the wear that the far more aggressive Dick Cepek FCIIs on my truck are showing and the FCIIs have over 35k miles on them. I'm not saying the Terra Grapplers are wearing real fast, just that sometimes you get what you pay for and it might be better to spend 30% or 40% more for a tire if it lasts longer than two sets of the less expensive tire.

The Nittos handle great on pavement and are a good trail tire and might just be the best wet pavement tire I've ever owned, but they cake up real fast with mud. It's probably the tires ONLY weakness, but it's not a good choice for a mud runner...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-29-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New Tires... Which Ones?