3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best Muffler for MPG gains.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:07 PM
USA2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Muffler for MPG gains.

Hello to all fellow Ram Truck members, it is a pleasure to be part of this forum! About a week ago my oem muffler crapped out on me. What would be the best aftermarket muffler for mpg gains? Even a 1% would mean alot to me because I have to replace the original one either way. What do you uys think of this one: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller

I've heard some other people praising Magnaflow mufflers. Would the Flowmaster muffler be better then the Magnaflow one, or is their an even better one?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

Flowmasters tend to rust very quickly, so go with the Magnaflow and you'll be happy.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM
areinike
Veteran

or install muffler bearings to aid in air flow

<snicker>

Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM
tantofolder
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow won't rust and has been said to have better flow than Flowmaster.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

NO muffler alone is going to give you any appreciable MPG gains. Best bet is to go with a better flowing model (this would mean NOT using a chambered muffler like Flowmaster) and ditching the ultra-restrictive factory "Y" pipe when installing the muffler...

Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
NO muffler alone is going to give you any appreciable MPG gains. Best bet is to go with a better flowing model (this would mean NOT using a chambered muffler like Flowmaster) and ditching the ultra-restrictive factory "Y" pipe when installing the muffler...
Oh so true. That's why I went with a Magnaflow y pipe and a glasspack. Very inexpensive and has great flow. And it sounds mean as hell.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:58 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I.just installed flowmaster 10 and took off my cherrybomb extreme and it sounds so much better !

Old 04-14-2012, 07:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

To clarify, when I bash Flowmaster, I'm bashing their chambered mufflers (50HD, 40, 44, etc.) The FM10 is NOT chambered. It is a small, straight thru muffler with a single wing plate. It shares it's dimensions and wing plate location with the Cherry Bomb Extreme and IS NOT what I'd classify as a restrictive muffler...

Old 04-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

Just have to put this in there but whatever muffler you decide to buy I don't believe you will see much of MPG gains due to you will live the sound and gas it all the time to hear the truck roar

I have flowmaster super 40 and love it and I believe it has better flow than OEM due to I gain throttle response but I can't say cherry bombs or mangaflows because I never had them but when I do replace mine I will be getting cherry bomb

Quick Reply: Best Muffler for MPG gains.