3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need help with gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:21 AM
thumperk15
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with gauges

I just bought a triple gauge pillar. I want a coolant temp, and oil pressure, the 3rd pod was mainly for a look. I don't want a tranny temp, rather do a volt meter or something. I'm not sure about a gauge but I want something with a white face to match the factory gauge look. Any good gauge out there, Autometer Phantom gauge? I want a good white face and where to tap into the hemi for oil pressure and temp and whatever else I could do?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:12 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thumperk15
I just bought a triple gauge pillar. I want a coolant temp, and oil pressure, the 3rd pod was mainly for a look. I don't want a tranny temp, rather do a volt meter or something.
While i would reccomend a tranny temp gauge, two much more simple to install alternatives would be either the Voltmeter, like you suggested, or even better, install a Vacuum gauge. You can learn a lot about what your engine is doing with a vacuum gauge and they are very easy to install. Just tap the hose (pre check valve) at the brake booster).

I'm not sure about a gauge but I want something with a white face to match the factory gauge look. Any good gauge out there, Autometer Phantom gauge? I want a good white face
Auto Meter makes factory match Dodge gauges that look great: http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugeop.aspx?sid=85

The other option would be their Phantom series which are white face. The only downside is the faces turn black at night.

and where to tap into the hemi for oil pressure and temp and whatever else I could do?
For oil pressure readings, you can unscrew the factory sender and install a short nipple and then a T fitting. For water temp, one of these kits is the easiest way to get a good reading: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2282/ They make different sizes, so double check the hose. Just install it in the heater supply hose.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Much appreciated, very helpful! The stock look ones are nice and complete the look in stock form, that's what I want really. The Phantom are nice but aren't they the same at night as the stock gauges you posted? Both being a black face at night? The stock gauges don't light white at night, they're black with the numbers green. I like the Autometer Cobalt gauges that light blue numbers but want a white face and green numbers. Thanks again for the links, I never knew they had the stock look gauges.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:16 PM
NV290
All Star

As information, I just installed a Phantom series Vacuum gauge on my truck and used the included green bulb cover. The gauge is still white with a green glow at night. I swapped the bulb for the Auto Meter green LED and now it looks amazing.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Its backlit green or backlit white with green numbers? It's been so long since I've used the Phantom. They're both white face but I'll go with one that's lit up brighter at night and easier to read. I can always dim them.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 AM
NV290
All Star

Its backlit green or backlit white with green numbers? It's been so long since I've used the Phantom. They're both white face but I'll go with one that's lit up brighter at night and easier to read. I can always dim them.
Phantom series gauges have a sold metal face painted white with black text silk screened on. All the illumination comes from a bulb mounted behind that face that shines through a gap between the gauge face and the exterior case of the gauge. This makes the lighting very soft but effective. With the standard halogen bulb it comes with and the slip on green cover it comes with the lighting is a ligher shade of green brightest at the edge of the gauge but still plenty bright to see the whole gauge face.

The LED bulb they offer which i added is a much more bright and intense light. It's a bright Emerald green that while certainly not an exact match to the factory gauge green, looks a lot nicer in my opinion.

Auto Meter does now offer the Phantom II series. The text is different on the gauge face and i think it looks better then the standard Phantom series and they have LED lighting standard that shines THROUGH the text on the face, not the perimeter. The backlighting is white only though. No ability to change it. They are beautiful gauges but they have fewer types available then the standard Phantom series. And they only offer Vacuum in the 2-5/8" size. Another major issue is the price. In many cases, 2-3 times the cost of a standard Phantom series gauge.

Ill take a picture tonight and post it later.

Last edited by NV290; 04-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 AM
thumperk15
Veteran

Ok, yea the same as the Sport and Pro Comps I've used. I thought they may have varied in how they light at night. They all get their light from the sides. Yea a pic would be great in giving me an idea on a color and brightness. The rest will be a price on those and the factory matched ones.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:29 AM
NV290
All Star

Hopefully these pics will help. The other gauge shown is the AeroForce Interceptor. I have the brightness set all the way up on it.

Last edited by NV290; 02-06-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help with gauges