3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Some help with a Tranny Fluid Change Question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 PM
BigRamBNY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help with a Tranny Fluid Change Question....

Hey guys,

For those of you that helped before with the wheel bearing question, Thanks, I replaced it 2 weekends ago and everything seem to be good. Now I have another question.
I have an '04 Ram 1500 QC 5.7 Hemi. I recently bought a travel trailer that will go about 5500 lbs when fully loaded. The truck has 95K on it and I've never touched the transmission fluid or filters or anything. I bought it when it had 70K on about 2 years ago and have no idea of if the previous owner did anything to the tranny in terms of fluid changes or what. When searching the net I read varying opinion from it should be changed, all 17 qts worth, to don't change it as it may do more harm than good....
Opinions???
Just looking for a direction to go with.
Thanks Guys

B

Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a drop 'n' drain on mine at about 90K (both filters and seven quarts of fluid). Yours is probably due unless the PO did it just before he traded. Mine's due again soon (117K on it now). Considering a deeper pan, but they ain't cheap.

If you're going to pull that TT a lot, a deeper pan is a good idea.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

I also just did a drop-n-drain and replace filter and now my truck shifts an hauls much better, some people swear by flushing the whole system but i guess matter of opinion

Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM
areinike
Veteran

for trucks with more miles than recommended for a change just do a pan drop and filter change. I've heard of slippage if you flush the whole thing, besides, it'll all blend together and you can change it again 30k miles later. I think mjne only took 6 quarts of tranny fluid. Don't forget to change both filters.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly reccomend Mopar filters. Their have been threads around the internet with some people having issues with aftermarket suction filters causing issues because the fit is not as good as the OEM.

Other then saving a few bucks, their is no advantage whatsoever to buying aftermarket trans filters. It's not as though the aftermarket filters are better quality like in the case of oil filters.

Keep in mind a 2 wheel drive truck uses a different suction filter then a 4WD version. Don't forget to remove and replace the filter seal as well.

Quick Reply: Some help with a Tranny Fluid Change Question....