3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Straight Piped Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 AM
JGreen273
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Chuck
I just did a week ago, did not notice any performance change ,my mpg went up a bit and its loud........ verry loud, i live in a sub division and a cold start at 5 am makes my neighbors mad so im going to try and weld in a 12 inch glasspack this weekend to see if that makes it just a little bit quieter. Cab noise is also stupid loud on takeoffs but while cruising at pretty much any set speed it is just fine with the radio on .overall ,to me its just not pratical for my stop and go city driving.

Did you get the glasspack put on? Did it make a noticable difference from straight pipes? I put straight pipes on my 4.7L yesterday and I like the sound, just not the volume.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
matthewm2012

I have a dynomax race bullet on mine and it is basically a straight pipe. It is only about 2 to 4 db below straight pipe sound. It sounds mean as hell and would reccomend that over a straight pipe. It makes is not crackle quite as much but it rumbles a lot

Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 PM
freestyledude
Captain

Another vote for cutout. I've ran straight pipe for awhile but I'm going back to the cutout, I used it a lot more than I thought. It's nice to have a quiet truck when you need it.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 PM
djrusso7
Amateur

Originally Posted by boosted-fc3s
Keep muffler and weld in a cut out after the cat but before the muffler. That way when you want it quiet like a long highway trip, or near cops, etc, then it can be.
Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt that just make it quieter and then when u opened them it would just put it back to how loud it is now?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM
reefguy89
Captain

im straight piped and i love it. I have a a turndown right after the cab pointing down. Its not that loud on start up. When accelarating under normal conditions its not loud at all. we cruising you dont even notice it. but when you get on it its loud and can be heard for a while after you stop seeing me. but it gives is a really mean sound.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 AM
freestyledude
Captain

Originally Posted by djrusso7
Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt that just make it quieter and then when u opened them it would just put it back to how loud it is now?
That's the idea. Close it when you want it quiet, and open when you want a better sound.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 PM
07Chuck
Rookie
Default perfecto

Well i finally have it sounding exactly how i want it, i removed the factory muffler and resinator and burned n a 12' cherry bomb glasspack going into a y-pipe so sound comes out of both tips,the pack seemed to tame the straight pipe cracking/loudness but its still sounds mean as hell , i will post a sound clip and pictures of the 97 welds i have on my pipes now after all the experimenting haha.

Quick Reply: Straight Piped Ram?