3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

60" tailgate LED strip owners chime in plz...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 60" tailgate LED strip owners chime in plz...

OK. So, I wanna get me one of these, or make one myself. If I make one, I won't have all the fancy features of directionals, reverse..etc It'd be a straight up brake light.

It seems the spare tire access port would be covered up by one of these? If you go above or below the access hole, the lights look like they'd be blocked by the tailgate or the bumper accordingly. WTF?

I was planning on buying another SMD strip in red and cutting that access hole out so there are no issue's. It will show that I;m missing an LED when i do that, but I'd rather buy something pre-made especially since it comes all pre-wired for your trailer plug.

Any help here would be much appreciated. Maybe even a pic to show me what you got would be ideal.

Thanks broski's.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:29 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a GO RECON model that has white back up lights. It plugs directly into the trailer wire connector for the brake/tail functions. Then you tap a reverse light wire to get the white LED's to activate.

Yes, they do block the spare tire access. I have not seen a model that does'nt. Mine is held in place with 4 screws, so if i needed to get to the spare tire i could remove two of them and then bend the light bar down a 1/2" (it's flexible enough). It would not damage it.

Newer versions mount with adhesive tape and when i asked a local dealer what do you do when you need to lower your spare? They told me "You basically have to rip the LED bar off and then buy new tape". Not a great design, but at the same time, i don't see any other option.

I love the look of the LED bars and they really throw a lot of light. I like the look of the solid red versions because they have so much red, but the white lights during backup look great too and really draw attention to yourself so no idiots get in your way. They have a version now with amber LED's as well that function as turn signals. But it takes even more red LED's away.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Bones08

NV290 is correct about the light bars covering the spare tire hole but like he said the light strips are flexible enough to uncover the hole. I have put several of these on trucks, 2 on mine 'cause the first one some of the features stop working and one on a friends truck. All of this is to say, RemovIng the Tailgate Makes This Installation Much More Easy.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I really like these and have considered one, as well. Thanks for bringing this up. Gives me some research material.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:12 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

haha, that vid is funny.

Yeah, not sure what I'm gonna do. Either just cover up the hole or make way around it somehow making my own??

Old 05-04-2012, 04:32 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had mine installed for almost a year, and I have been able to lower my spare without ever having to bend or unscrew my bar.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:33 PM
rocks295
Amateur

I got one from autozone made my bully for $45. It was three separate pieces so there was a gap for the spare release. You could obviously see the gap at night but there was one on both sides so it looked okay. Sadly it lasted about three months then it got moisture in it

Old 05-04-2012, 06:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by rocks295
I got one from autozone made my bully for $45. It was three separate pieces so there was a gap for the spare release. You could obviously see the gap at night but there was one on both sides so it looked okay. Sadly it lasted about three months then it got moisture in it
I was thinking 3 strips. That would leave room for the access point of the spare, but I'm in limbo if I wanna do some flush mounts in the bumper. I found some chrome mirrored red LED trailer lights that would look pretty good. Have to decide if I wanna cut my bumper??

Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine doesn't cover the access hole. I have no idea what brand it is. It came with the truck.

Quick Reply: 60" tailgate LED strip owners chime in plz...