3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, i think i paid $40 for my egr from AZ

Old 05-30-2012, 05:01 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a thread I started here 3 years ago. I ended up having a shop change it for me. If I had to do it again, today, I would do it myself. Should be something in here that can help you.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...egr-valve.html

I've also, since, invested in a OBD-II scanner that can read codes and can reset them as well. Well worth the $100 I paid as it works with all my vehicles.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

hey thanks guys, appreciate all the info. should be getting it done this weekend.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

and 04hemigreg, mine has 58k on it, so it must be around high 50- low 60k miles is when they start to go bad.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Five.SevenRAM
and 04hemigreg, mine has 58k on it, so it must be around high 50- low 60k miles is when they start to go bad.

Possibly. It could be that it depends on your driving habits and what kind of gas you use. Until recently, I always used cheap 87 octane gas and the majority of my driving has always been short trips. I just didn't know any better on the gas and I can't control my trip lengths. In the thread that I posted the link to, someone recommended that maybe I just needed to try and clean out the EGR valve instead of replacing it. That could have been the case, especially since mine didn't totally fail on me. Rather, I just had a couple of cases on long drives where it "acted up" and threw a code. So it was probably dirty and sticky.

In any case, it's a fairly cheap and easy fix and is really the only real problem I've had with my truck in almost 100k miles. So I can't complain.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

yeah im the same, my commute to work is 20 miles but its only 55 mph and some city driving for a few miles. i also use 87 but i think i will use 89 more now after i replace it. also good to hear shes runnin' strong to almost 100k!

Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

If you can get 89 octane ethanol free, use it. If you can't, find an ethanol treatment and use it. You'll get better mileage and it'll be better on your engine.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

yeah, i saw some of that stuff at napa the other day. wasnt too sure if it worked or not but now that u mention it i'll give it a try.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This gets debated constantly, but despite the fact the manual says "87 octane ok, 89 recommended" it's almost a 100% thing that people with pre-mature failures on Hemi engines show obvious signs of pre-detonation and most (even quite a few guys on this forum) have acknowledged using 87 octane gas extensively.

Will you have an engine failure if you stick with 87 octane - maybe not, there are guys who swear by 87 who are up over 150k miles without an issue BUT running 89 on a stock tune prevents pre-detonation AND gives better performance AND is an added insurance policy against engine issues. Remember, this engine is a very high compression engine.

As far as the ethanol treatment goes, agreed ethanol is just pure out BAD for engines, seals, lines and in general - everything. First best thing is to find 89 octane ethanol free gas, but adding an ethanol treatment works well and you should see a slight increase in fuel economy. I use Star Tron in ALL my gas - be it for vehicles, ATV, boat and even yard equipment. I've yet to need to replace a single primer bulb or fuel line since I started using the treatment and I was replacing them in my yard equipment yearly before.

There are a number of fuel additives that clean, stabilize and counter ethanol in gas. I recommend you use one...

Old 05-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

is non ethanol gas even found nowadays? lol i cant seem to find one here in CNY, but i guess i can google it. and that star-tron stuff...how much is that? its only a few bucks per bottle right?

Quick Reply: check engine light on