3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 PM
07ramman1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lights

i have an 07 SLT 1500 QuadCab, and i have the cutouts in the front bumper for fog lights
is there a kit you can buy to install them?
if so were can i find this kit?
Also im thinking about going with some 100w lights behind the grill, because i do alot of night driving to work and back.
any ideas?
thanks!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can buy the complete kits from Ebay or the dealer for a few places to start.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

i heard that when you get into the higher wattage light bulbs they start to really heat up and in a few cases melted the housings and shorted out. just a thought, you might want to look into it when you find the right kit that you like.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 AM
IamFrank
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the kit. It comes with the two fog lamps, the two black bezels, the wire harness, and the new interior switch that includes fog light control; all factory Mopar parts. Because yours is an SLT, you may luck out and have the computer programmed already to control the lights from the factory, but if you plug them in and they do not work, just take it to the dealer and they can program it for you. Not sure what that costs as mine was plug-and-play however.
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/ram-...7.html?cat=130

Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 PM
dsullivan22
Rookie

Sorry to hi-jack, but I do believe my truck is already wired but it doesn't have a switch inside or the lights. I will have to take a picture to show the wire, but it is on the driver side coming off of the wires attached to my headlights. Would I just need the lamps and switch?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 AM
IamFrank
Professional

Originally Posted by dsullivan22
Sorry to hi-jack, but I do believe my truck is already wired but it doesn't have a switch inside or the lights. I will have to take a picture to show the wire, but it is on the driver side coming off of the wires attached to my headlights. Would I just need the lamps and switch?
If we are talking about staying factory then No, you'd still need the wire harness. If your truck was pre-wired for fog lamps from the factory, all that means is that you don't need to mess with fuses nor with running wires through the fire wall. But you will still need the harness that connects the fog lamps to each other and the pre-wired section as well as the new interior headlamp switch that now has the push function to turn the fog lamps on. This is all included in the kit I posted above and is easy, even for a newbie, to install at home.

This is the wire that indicates your truck is pre-wired for fog-lamps. It is located on the driver's side on the inside of the front bumper, .
Name:  IMG-20120206-00223.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  123.2 KB

Last edited by IamFrank; 06-01-2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:27 AM
07ramman1500
Amateur

Originally Posted by IamFrank
If we are talking about staying factory then No, you'd still need the wire harness. If your truck was pre-wired for fog lamps from the factory, all that means is that you don't need to mess with fuses nor with running wires through the fire wall. But you will still need the harness that connects the fog lamps to each other and the pre-wired section.

This is the wire that indicates your truck is pre-wired for fog-lamps. It is located on the driver's side on the inside of the front bumper, .
If you have the pre-wired plug in, are the fog lights connected to your high beams or do you still need a seperate switch for them?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 PM
dsullivan22
Rookie

Awesome thanks for the info!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 AM
IamFrank
Professional

Originally Posted by 07ramman1500
If you have the pre-wired plug in, are the fog lights connected to your high beams or do you still need a seperate switch for them?
They are not connected to your high beams. If you plan to utilize the factory pre-wiring, you'll need the new headlamp switch that is included in the kit I posted above. The new headlamp switch has the push function that will control your new fogs.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:07 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genosgarage.com sells adapters to run brighter bulbs in the stock fog light housings. No wires to cut, just a bit of filing on the brighter bulbs base.

I have 55w behind the grill lights but i can tell you, just getting Phillps Xtreme power headlight bulbs and Sylvania White star fog light bulbs has given me a HUGE difference in light output without raising any wattage and in turn, not risking melting any wires or housings. Total investement for all was well under $100.00 and i did not have to cut a single wire or make any alterations to anything. Takes 20 minutes to change them all out.

The behind the grill lights help, but in most states are illegal to use on public roads. Now i just save them for heavy fog/snow as i have yellow filters on them.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights