3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ram srt6 project **read!**

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Need to install a forged bottom end first if you intend to put that huffer on there (especially the pistons). Then you get to have fun tuning it.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Defboi6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brand would you recommend on forged bottom end and what brand/comp ratio would you recommend? Perhaps a link could suffice for my needs and I can be able to swap it all out and put that, as you put it, "huffer" in there then fine tune it. I hope this project will yield better options available to the public. If you ask me, V8 is wayyyy too overrated. No offense to you and all the V8 motorheads. Don't get me wrong, I love V8 but, I'll only use those for fun, not as an ideal reliable transportation to work that supports your expensive hobbies. As of right now, the truck will be put in a makeshift garage while I go purchase a Nissan Frontier for 700 bucks (spare me the grief, please) I can't wait to jump into the engine bay right this second. When this project is complete and successful, you all petrolheads will get the credits for this.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand where you're coming from (kind of) but I don't understand why you want to boost a V6 when it won't even make the same power as a Hemi. The Hemi and a boosted V6 are going to get similar MPGs I would believe except the Hemi swap would be way cheaper

Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "POP"~ I coulda Had a V~8..

Not too long ago some of the circle track racers started thinking about the big V~6 motors in there race cars. They're lighter and wind up fast "Makes sense". But in the end it cost more to make them keep up and not come apart.. I don't know much about V~6 Motors , I'm a Hemi~Head. But I'd like to see how this turns out. I Love "Interesting" Motor Swaps. Good Luck , I hope you have a good camera ..

Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Have you found any boosted ram v6 builds on any of the ram forums? If so were they pleased to go that route after said and done?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

You'll have to do some research to see who or if anyone makes a forged piston for the 3.7 (always the custom route). Pretty much anything that can be done to a 4.7 can be done to it's little brother. They stopped making a kit for it (can't remember if it was a blower or turbo) because the ring land were wayyy too high on the pistons and they were failing. Depending on how much boost or power you are trying to make will dictate how strong you'll need to go. Different pistons and a stock bottom end will probably survive 6 psi max on a regular basis. Dunno if anyone even makes a forged 3.7 crank. A good starting point might be to put better pistons in, then get custom cams ground and some head work done. Start thinking of it as a total package, maybe with an STS remote turbo setup to top it off. An SCT should be compatible with your PCM and allow you to tune it.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:02 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When putting HP under a hood , It's a simple equation.. Money = Horsepower.. And there's no replacement for displacement.. You can get 10 hp from a 5hp Briggs & Straton
If you bore it stroke it do a thousand dollars worth of head work and make the bottom end hold up.. OR you can buy a 10 HP B&S Motor for half the money.. But it won't be fun to build and you can run with the big dogs..

Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Want to follow this thread, very interesting. Good luck with the engine swap, seems real interesting. I bet you can get the engine to hold up the the boost with enough mod's ( as others have mentioned), seems like the bigger pita would be getting everything else to be compatible since it's essentially a mercedes engine. Keep us updated.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:09 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Originally Posted by ewing111
Want to follow this thread, very interesting. Good luck with the engine swap, seems real interesting. I bet you can get the engine to hold up the the boost with enough mod's ( as others have mentioned), seems like the bigger pita would be getting everything else to be compatible since it's essentially a mercedes engine. Keep us updated.
It's not a Mercedes engine. The 6 in the Crossfire is, but the 3.7 is a derivative of the 4.7 (which was Mopar designed back in the 90's, some say it was an AMC design Mopar finished).

Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Defboi6

Hello fellow Dodge lovers,

The project is coming along nicely, I found Miror 938 rims but it don't fit. I'll get adapters for it. Also, it is a 2002 and I'm going to make an front end conversion to make it an 06. I've decided not to lower it, but turn it into a monster that can rip trees right out of their spots! 3.7L are not a very good project to work on right now given the limited resources available out there. I may have to go down the Hemi route. (smacks forehead) Oh well, the sound of saying "Yeah, I got a 5.7" must've make those backcountry girls shake with excitement (or it must be PMS) Keep y'all posted!!

Also, what are your thoughts on Mega Cab 1500s and 2500s. One of my clients pulled up with a massive MegaCab 2500 lifted 4" with Rancho kit and 22" rims and huge tires that could turn my 1500 into a coke can! I may go down THAT route.

Quick Reply: Ram srt6 project **read!**