3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looked at a 2004 Hemi 2500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 AM
AngelaC
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looked at a 2004 Hemi 2500 4x4

I looked at a 2004 Hemi 2500 4x4 last night, it drove well, its in good shape for its year, it has 138 000 kms on it which is about 89598 miles, they used it to tow a 30 foot fifth wheel RV. They had to re-do the posi on the rear end so I am going to assume they either burned it out towing or went mud bogging and got stuck or something...As I started it and drove away I noticed a ticking, I have been looking this up and apparently its a common thing? I'm thinking it can be going both ways here either its doing the common thing or it has a problem seeing as they needed to re-do the rear end what could be wrong with the front right? (alot of things) It has been sitting for about a year since the owner of it died and his wife is selling it, I'm obviously going back this week to see it and look it over again, is there something I should look for specifically? Or does it really need to go in and get looked at by a mechanic?
I probably posted this in the wrong topic discussion lol

Last edited by AngelaC; 06-25-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:30 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...s-section.html

Definitely get it inspected by a mechanic (preferably a trusted one) before you buy. Always do that, even if you're buying it from your best friend. You never know what problem may be lurking just a few miles down the road, that maybe even the seller isn't aware of.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Depends on where the ticking is coming from and what it sounds like. Could be the well known hemi-tick or could be something else. If it has limited slip and it has been redone, that could be as simple as it went out due to no fault of the owner. It's a known, potential weak-point on 3rd gens with LSD/Anti-spin differentials.

Never hurts to have a good service history and get it checked by a mechanic.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:48 PM
AngelaC
Amateur

The owner took it in, an exhaust leak said a couple hundred to fix

Quick Reply: Looked at a 2004 Hemi 2500 4x4