3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need tire advice, got it down to two!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:43 AM
roadkingguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tire advice, got it down to two!

Need some advice from someone who knows alot more about tires than me. I have a stock 02 1500 4X4 that needs tires, I have decided to stay with OEM size of 265/70/17 and have narrowed it down to Nitto Terra Grappler AT or Cooper Discover AT3.

99% of the time this truck will be on the road, some paved, some dirt. I also hunt so could be on a two track or in a field at times. I live in MI and get lots of snow and ice in the winter with hard packed snow on the roads is common.

I like the like the looks of the Nitto tread better but Im old school and still like raised white letters and Cooper gets me close with white outlined. I think both are 55,000 mile tires or so which I need as money is tight and need to get long life out of them. Price is a wash as there is only a 35.00 difference OTD.

Could someone that knows about the performance of these tire in different conditions and terrain point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Last edited by roadkingguy; 07-07-2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Spelling (I suck)
Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Flip a coin, both are great tires with an excellent track record. You can't go wrong with either one of them...

Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 AM
roadkingguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Hammer. And what the hell are you doing up at this time, thought I was the only crazy one. LOL

Old 07-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The unavailability of a RWL sidewall made me decide against the Nittos, as well, when I was in the market for tires a while back. I just like the classic look of white letters/outlines on the sidewall.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I kinda like white lettering too, But it'd be way down the list of reasons for me to decide on or against a certain tire.

Oh, and I had the alarm set for 4am because I had a 7am tee time about an hour away...

Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Considering the competition the Nittos were up against with Cooper, FC-II's and some other options at the time, that little bit would have been enough to sway me since I think all of the tires I was looking at were generally of the same quality and performance. Not saying they aren't great tires, or that the lettering was the #1 and only reason... but when I have to look at the truck every day for the next few years with the tires I choose on it, I figured I'd get something that is aesthetically pleasing to me, as well, for that kind of money.

Shipping and legality here were probably the #1 qualifier/disqualifier.

Quick Reply: Need tire advice, got it down to two!