3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I need help with TIRES!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:24 AM
DRamHemi03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I need help with TIRES!

I drive a 2003 dodge ram 2500 HEMI 4wd lifted 4 inches. i currently have BFgoodrich All Terrain 35 inch tires on my 17inch Mickey Thompson Classic look rims. i want to buy 37's in a class E. looking for a decent tire that doesnt get worn down to fast or "howl" too badly and has a nice aggresive look. im looking at the Pro Comp xtreme Mud Terrain tires but i can not find them in a 37 that will fit with a 17 inch rim and have a load range E. Please help. trying to avoid buying bigger rims.

Last edited by DRamHemi03; 07-14-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

We had a shop in south Georgia bring in Pro Comp tires about 10 years ago and got all gung ho on 'em. Banners and sh8t all over the place, ran ads in the local paper for sales every weekend. Most guys around town bought a set for their trucks, Jeeps, etc.

THEN they all started having the tires wear down to slicks around 20,000 miles or so. Dude with the shop about got run out of town on a rail. The word Pro Comp is taboo at my hunting club. Now that tires shop is empty and the locals have a little flea market in the parking lot on Saturdays.

Unless they got 1000% better over the last five years or so, I wouldn't touch a Pro Comp tire if they were buy one get three free...

Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 AM
DRamHemi03

what type of tire would you suggest?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I've always bought either Mickey Thompson or Cepeks myself. But Nittos, Toyos and Coopers have always been good.

Also don't limit yourself to just "E" tires, there are a lot more choices in a "D" tire and many D tires are rated over 3500 lbs where some E tires are down around 3100 lbs. Remember it's the manufacturer who decides what rating to give them. A Nitto Terra Grappler in 37x12.5x17 is rated at like 3525 lbs. - which is a LOT more than most E tires on the market.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

What is your expectation for how long they should last? It is hard to find a MT tire that will stand up to a ton of pavement miles. I am still trying to get my son to understand that. Aggressive treads are designed to bite harder and pavement bites back. The harder surface usually wins those battles.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 AM
DRamHemi03

my friend had D range on his 2010 lifted 2500 HEMI and he got a "death wobble" he put E's on and the wobble went away. thats why i was set on E's but i will look at the Nittos

Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Get the Mickey Thompson mtz's. They look similar to the nitto mud grappler but will last you as long as the average all terrain. I have the dick cepek FC-II's and hammer can back me up on this one, but they are THE ****! I'll never stray away from Mickey T (they own dick cepek) even for street tires!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by DRamHemi03
my friend had D range on his 2010 lifted 2500 HEMI and he got a "death wobble" he put E's on and the wobble went away. thats why i was set on E's but i will look at the Nittos
He had a tire out of round I'd bet. Usually the stiffer the sidewall the worse it amplifies vibrations, meaning that the E tires should have made it worse.

But regardless I bet the new tires just band-aided the problem and when whatever caused his old tires to wear funny will cause it in his new tires eventually. Death Wobble on a SFA truck is sometimes a worn part - like a ball joint, tire balance, belt separation, out of round BUT most often it's the steering box that vibrates the frame - which causes like a ripple effect - which is permanently cured by installing a steering box stabilizer...

Quick Reply: I need help with TIRES!