3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Flowmaster 40 to CB extreme/vortex

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Ellis42
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also mine does this crackle you speak of all day everyday

Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 AM
reefguy89
Captain

Originally Posted by gHEMImorePower
No the 40 is quiet lmfao. The extreme is way louder and then the glasspack is louder than that. No offense but flowmaster sucks unless you're talking about the super 10

i gotta disagree here i havent heard the flowmaster but i had the extreme and now have the glasspack. nether of which are loud or have that cracking and low grumble i have been looking for. even before the cb glasspack i was straight piped and it didnt have that sound either. it wasnt that loud either. now i am still running stock cats so im sure that is quiteing it down some.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flowmasters suck to the guys who live in winter snow areas, I have had Flowmasters on everything I've ever owned. Never had a problem with any of them, they were all loud and never rotted out. THe winter snow guys call them Rustmasters, but if you don't have that weather, you won't have that problem. I run a 40 in mine and while it sounds pretty mean I want to convert to the CB Extreme myself. Good Luck BlackHemi

P.S. You will get that crackling sound if you use turn-downs. I have them in mine and it sounds very nice.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM
LA6-250
Rookie

Okay, the MOST extreme you can buy from Flowmaster would be the SUPER 10 series muffler. High flow, compact design, single chamber muffler that is designed for race tracks where a "muffler" is required. You will get the sound effect of headers, but still be able to pass a SMOG test (if your state requires it) because you have a "muffler". The trick in CA is pipe it to look stock, that way at glance the fuzz cant bust you ****** for Modified Exhaust. OH! i think that are 80 bucks

Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

The 40 series is quiet to me because I'm used to my extreme and my buddies have glasspacks, super 10, or straight pipes. That's why I don't consider the 40 series a loud muffler

Old 07-18-2012, 03:28 PM
blackhemi05
Rookie

yea i liked the 40 when i got it but now that i have heard it for awhile it doesnt seem that loud to me anymore. atleast not head turning like i want.

I went by my muffler shop today (same place that did the system i currently have now) and they said if i want the extreme that they basically have a no named muffler that is the same. How the guy explained it to me was that it is not that thick from top to bottom as the cherry bomb and isnt red. But it is just like the extreme sido split with a v shape in the muffler.

They said they could do it all for 100 so I guess i have some thinking to do. I was going to ask about the glasspacks to see if there would be a price difference but got caught up talking about the other muffler

Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by blackhemi05
so i have the flowmaster 40 single in dual out with ss style piping on my 5.7 hemi. Ive had the exhaust for a lil over a year or so and honestly i thought it was going to be louder by the way the exhaust guy talked. He tried to talk me into the 50 because he thought the 40 would be too loud. So now iv been thinking about getting something louder and with better flow like the cherry bomb extreme or vortex. Im young so i am in the stage of the louder the better but do not want to do staight pipes.

i like the screaming roar sound and the crackling of some exhaust on trucks. will the vortex or extreme give me this? im still keeping the same pipe setup just different muffler, something somewhat louder than the 40

whats yalls advice on this? i have seen where guys think the 40 is loud and it does the job but it just isnt loud enough for me

Black Hemi, if you want to get loud, just get rid of the factory cats. They are very restrictive, sound and power wise. Use the exhaust you already have an put hi flo's on, or no cats at all, depending on where you live

Old 07-19-2012, 09:38 PM
blackhemi05
Rookie

what will it sound like? if i take my cat off im not gunna put hi flos on ill just live it off and have a pipe in its place. i live in nc so im sure im good. can i pass inspection without it?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 PM
LA6-250
Rookie

On my truck (CA) i removed the CAT and put pipe in its place. you can just flange your exhaust pipe, CAT, and temporary pipe for easy removal and installation. Most states have moved to CA emission laws. To answer your question, it will be loud. But not extremely. If you are looking for a lot of sound: Increase pipe size. different muffler. Headers. the 06 Hemi puts out 345Hp so, see if you can get 3.5 Exhaust Pipe and a Single chamber muffler. It will be REALLY LOUD then

Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 PM
blackhemi05
Rookie

well I made my decision guys. I just ordered the extreme 3 in 2 1/2 out from amazon. It was like 52.99 and had free shipping so I thought that was the best deal. Should be in by this weekend so ill hopefully have it on pretty soon so ill let yall know how I like it and what my neighbors think.

I appreciate all the help and advice yall gave and added, it definitely helped me in making my decison

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 40 to CB extreme/vortex