3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My thoughts on the AT3030.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thoughts on the AT3030.

Well after lots of research and debating I finally had an AT3030 and Magnaflow Y welded in yesterday. I know Aero has gone out of business, but their mufflers are still around and I really like the design. I know everyone has their own preference, but this thing sounds GOOD to me. At idle you can barely tell the difference from stock, but when you put your foot in it the thing comes alive. Very deep tone at idle. My friend described it as a "stealth" exhaust after riding with me. You don't know it's there until it's go time. MDS does not sound bad at all even after hearing its horror stories. You just hear a deeped tone and feel a tiny bit of pressure in the cab. I did leave the rear resonator on though so that's probably why it's not a bother. I am debating now on cutting the back of the exhaust out and clamping on a turndown behind the muffler. It's just so quiet. As far as the pipe routing goes we cut the factory Y out behind the cats and about a foot behind the tail end of the transmission. Ran one section of 2 1/2 strait back from the passenger side cat, another on the other side around the transmission and under where the driveshaft goes in, into the Y, muffler under where the bed starts, and tied in with factory. When I say we I do mean we. haha. This was this muffler guys first job. I was apprehensive, but this shop is my only local option. I planned the bends and was under the truck with him the whole time. I almost asked to do the welding, but I didn't wanna insult him. He did a great job for a newbie and I am very satisfied because I got it done exactly how I wanted it...and a substancial cut in install cost. hehe. Now this may be a completely useless post, but it's just my thoughts. Maybe somewhere around here there's somebody trying to make up their mind on an exhaust and this will help them. AT3030 highly recommended!

Old 07-29-2012, 01:29 PM
jdpartsman
Professional

So Aero is no more? I better buy my AT3030XL on-line soon.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

When I decided to cut out my POS Flowmaster 50HD and replace it I was debating between a Cherry Bomb Vortex, Cherry Bomb Extreme or the Aero 3030. My decision was made for me when a CB Extreme showed up at my door at no cost to me and I'm 100% happy with this muffler BUT the Aero is a SOLID choice. Saddens me that they couldn't keep their doors open...

Old 07-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

Yep Aero is no more. If you want one you can get it for about half the price on Ebay right now. I got mine and the Y there for just a tad over $100. There still seem to be a lot of their mufflers on the market right now, but I don't know how long they'll last. I wish a reputable company would buy the patent and make a similar design. If somebody were to get it just to mothball it that would be a shame. Here's a link to how I found out they folded.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...1-Aero-Exhaust

I did have a chance to look at quite a few mufflers in the shops inventory while the guy I was working with was on break. Looked at a ton of Flowmasters, Magnaflows, Cherry Bombs, and off brands. After getting a hands on look I think my second choice to the AT3030 would have been the Cherry Bomb Extreme. Well built case and I could still see daylight when I looked through it. Magnaflow would have been third. But only because it has packing. Just my opinion though. When I look at a muffler the first thing I do is look though it like a telescope and see if I can see daylight. haha. Quick and easy flow test.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

UPDATE: I just cut the resonator off and clamped on a turndown in front of the rear axle. It made a little bit of difference, but not much. Just a tad bit louder both regular running and in MDS. Still sounds good to me either way. For anyone planning an exhaust debating on keeping a rear resonator or cutting it out, I say cut it out. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:32 PM
jdpartsman
Professional

I guess the biggest downfall would be if one had any problems with one is that the limited lifetime warranty would be well, limited....lol.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the AT3030.