3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How do I quiet this HEMI down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IGot2P
I purchased a 2007 1500 HEMI Ram a couple of months ago and the exhaust was quite loud. This was kind of cool for a few days but now it is simply annoying and I want to quiet it down. There is one muffler with one inlet and two outlets then both of the outlet pipes split again right before they exit the truck (the last split is obviously simply for looks). I am going to attach four pictures but to give you a heads up, the muffler (unknown brand) is 13" long, 10" wide, with an inlet of approximately 3.25" and two outlets of approximately 2.5". All pipes are welded to the muffler as you will see in the pictures.

What I need to know is what, if any muffler, can I replace the current one with and quiet this thing down without spending a fortune. The replacement muffler could only be about 6" longer than the current one due to space limitations. A reasonable loss of power is totally acceptable to me.

Suggestions appreciated,

Don

The quietest single in dual out is the Dynomax Super Turbo, Nice tone, but actually too quiet for me. I had one of these on my 06 hemi for a while

Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

I laugh every single time I hear somebody say that they got/are getting exhaust for better gas mileage. If you are a normal human being who has fully functioning ears, you will not see better gas mileage with exhaust. Trust me, I bought into this theory before, but I fell in love with that deep rumble and whenever it would quiet down I'd tend to give it more gas so I could hear it. Later I bought a louder muffler (cherry bomb extreme) which is quite loud so I don't try giving it gas as much haha. Exhaust does give better performance but I don't believe you will see much if any of mpg increase

Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 AM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Originally Posted by gHEMImorePower
I laugh every single time I hear somebody say that they got/are getting exhaust for better gas mileage. If you are a normal human being who has fully functioning ears, you will not see better gas mileage with exhaust. Trust me, I bought into this theory before, but I fell in love with that deep rumble and
whenever it would quiet down I'd
tend to give it more gas so I
could hear it. Later I bought a
louder muffler (cherry bomb
extreme) which is quite loud so I
don't try giving it gas as much
haha. Exhaust does give better
performance but I don't believe
you will see much if any of mpg
increase
This thread now been officially been jacked!
Nobody on this thread said anything about getting an exhaust for better gas mileage.
The op just wants to quiet his down. Pls read and try to comprehend the topic b4 chiming in with useless info.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Originally Posted by MoparPaul
This thread now been officially been jacked!
Nobody on this thread said anything about getting an exhaust for better gas mileage.
The op just wants to quiet his down. Pls read and try to comprehend the topic b4 chiming in with useless info.
My bad thought I saw something bout that earlier musta been a different thread I do that a lot

Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM
IGot2P
Amateur

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
The quietest single in dual out is the Dynomax Super Turbo
Okay, it is now somewhat quieter. Got it into the shop Friday and they put on a 24" Xlerator muffler which they said was designed like the Dynomax as opposed to the 13" Thrush that was on it which they said was designed more like a Flomaster. They told me up front that it was not going to sound like a stock system because I wanted to retain the duals thus they had to use a muffler with one inlet and two outlets. In short, they said that it would be quieter but not stock quiet.

Well, they were definitely correct. It is substantially quieter but still not as quiet as I would like it to be so it is going back Monday and they are going to add a glass pack in front of the Xlerator muffler. Again, they say that it will quiet it down some more but still not like a stock system. All in all, I think that it should be about right when the get the additional muffler on. After-all, it is a truck.

Oh yes, the price was exceptionally reasonable I thought. $139 total for the first muffler and it will be another $70 for them to add the second.

Of course comments are welcome.

Don

Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Good Deal!

Right around $2 bills too...
Glad it worked out for you.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uhh where do they plan on fitting two mufflers? That is not "about right for a truck". Your trucks stock come with one muffler although they do come with resonators to help quiet it down more. I would seriously just look into a stock 4th gen exhaust or a long magnaflow. Especially if the muffler you got is "like a Flowmaster" because those are SH*T

Old 08-11-2012, 07:57 PM
IGot2P
Amateur

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
Uhh where do they plan on fitting two mufflers? That is not "about right for a truck". Your trucks stock come with one muffler although they do come with resonators to help quiet it down more. I would seriously just look into a stock 4th gen exhaust or a long magnaflow. Especially if the muffler you got is "like a Flowmaster" because those are SH*T
Please re-read my post, the muffler I got is NOT like a Flowmaster. Rather the one that they took off was. The additional glass pack will go in front of the new muffler.

Don

Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still don't understand why you would possibly get 2 mufflers. I mean of course it's possible but all I could see are back pressure issues coming from two full on mufflers that aren't designed to work together. If one muffler isn't quiet enough for you then you either need to get a stock system or get a whole new vehicle because a V8 was never meant to be quiet. It's like asking Godzilla to not destroy Tokyo

Old 08-12-2012, 01:43 AM
IGot2P
Amateur

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
I still don't understand why you would possibly get 2 mufflers. I mean of course it's possible but all I could see are back pressure issues coming from two full on mufflers that aren't designed to work together. If one muffler isn't quiet enough for you then you either need to get a stock system or get a whole new vehicle because a V8 was never meant to be quiet. It's like asking Godzilla to not destroy Tokyo
It is not your truck so there is no reason that you need to understand. BTW - my V10 is much quieter than this little V8.

Don

Quick Reply: How do I quiet this HEMI down?