3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How do I quiet this HEMI down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well its different having a glasspack piggyback the muffler, let us know how it turns out! id be inspecting your engine more and watch the pump, all that backpressure might burn a valve or kill your mileage.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Nate_sorenson
well its different having a glasspack piggyback the muffler, let us know how it turns out! id be inspecting your engine more and watch the pump, all that backpressure might burn a valve or kill your mileage.

You aren't going to get a significant amount of back pressure from adding a glasspack to the system. They are nearly as straight through as a straight pipe. I have a dual in dual out muffler on my hemi and have TWO glasspacks piggybacking each pipe, and felt no change in performance at all, but did see a change in drone, so this guy or his muffler shop is going in the right direction and will absolutely do no damage from adding a glasspack. The stock system has so much more backpressure than any aftermarket system, so if your theory is correct about this GLASSPACK adding too much backpressure, then every stock truck going down the road ought to have burnt valves, and that aint happening

Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by IGot2P
It is not your truck so there is no reason that you need to understand. BTW - my V10 is much quieter than this little V8.

Don

Don, I'm glad you said that and I didn't have to. What the guy is doing will work just fine. I have it on my truck and works great

Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
You aren't going to get a significant amount of back pressure from adding a glasspack to the system. They are nearly as straight through as a straight pipe. I have a dual in dual out muffler on my hemi and have TWO glasspacks piggybacking each pipe, and felt no change in performance at all, but did see a change in drone, so this guy or his muffler shop is going in the right direction and will absolutely do no damage from adding a glasspack. The stock system has so much more backpressure than any aftermarket system, so if your theory is correct about this GLASSPACK adding too much backpressure, then every stock truck going down the road ought to have burnt valves, and that aint happening
thanks for the reality check lol, this is why im not working in an exhaust shop

Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM
IGot2P
Amateur

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
Don, I'm glad you said that and I didn't have to. What the guy is doing will work just fine. I have it on my truck and works great
Well, the shop brought my truck back this afternoon (yes, they pick up and deliver) and the sound is EXACTLY what I wanted! Very civilized but you can still tell that it is a truck.

A very satisfied Don

Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by IGot2P
Well, the shop brought my truck back this afternoon (yes, they pick up and deliver) and the sound is EXACTLY what I wanted! Very civilized but you can still tell that it is a truck.

A very satisfied Don

Glad it worked out dfor you Don

Quick Reply: How do I quiet this HEMI down?