3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

blacking out the ram

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blacking out the ram

So, ive kept up on the patriot blue and black thread and decided how sick of chrome i am. Im gonna post some pics of my flame red ram as it blacks out slowly but surely. So far ive got the headlight covers, I ordered 2 gallons of monstaliner to do the bottom halves of the door skins/ rockers and bumpers. I have a can of plastidip lying around, Ill proboably do that to my emblems later this week, I have a black mesh grille that arrives the 14th and i have something special in mind for that, it has the black bezel aswell. I want to do my stocks 17"s with that duplicolor shadow kit, but ill paint the ram logo on the center cap red, also have some red wheel stripes ill put on the lip of the rim. And also i have looked into screwback spikes that ill replace the screws on my flares with. Actually quite a bit of stuff in the next two weeks ill post in this thread as i go along.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:21 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

How do you like the headlight covers? Can you drive with them at night?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it will look good!

Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

i drove home tonight for the first time and being i have 30,000k hids (purple) that arent very bright, they sucked! was going by the fogs haha but they make a darker shade of purple and i love em.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Yea I want headlight covers but that's my only fear

Old 08-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

well they pop right off but are secure when they are in, these are the avs covers, the gts ones are crap, they velcro on and suck

Old 08-11-2012, 03:30 PM
houseoftoes
Professional

Just a heads up, the duplicolor shadow kit is not that great. I has roll bars on my truck for a while and at first I used the duplicolor shadow kit and it went from a really nice black to some off beaten green color. looked really bad. I ended up getting some flat black and painted it over. Then sold it and happier then ever. The plasti-dip works great on the chrome clad. I have it on my rims and I have no issues and they are holding on great. Plasti-dip all the way!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:28 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Nate_sorenson
So, ive kept up on the patriot blue and black thread and decided how sick of chrome i am. Im gonna post some pics of my flame red ram as it blacks out slowly but surely. So far ive got the headlight covers, I ordered 2 gallons of monstaliner to do the bottom halves of the door skins/ rockers and bumpers. I have a can of plastidip lying around, Ill proboably do that to my emblems later this week, I have a black mesh grille that arrives the 14th and i have something special in mind for that, it has the black bezel aswell. I want to do my stocks 17"s with that duplicolor shadow kit, but ill paint the ram logo on the center cap red, also have some red wheel stripes ill put on the lip of the rim. And also i have looked into screwback spikes that ill replace the screws on my flares with. Actually quite a bit of stuff in the next two weeks ill post in this thread as i go along.
Sounds like you got a heck of a busy week coming up, Post as many pics as you can! You got a couple of ideas a want to try and you gave me some new ideas about colors. Hurry up and get it done and show us what it looks like.
Oh yeah and the headlights you got what was the brand? A buddy of mine just bought them for pretty cheap and they are green but when they are on you wouldnt know they were any different than stock.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

Originally Posted by willdikem66
Sounds like you got a heck of a busy week coming up, Post as many pics as you can! You got a couple of ideas a want to try and you gave me some new ideas about colors. Hurry up and get it done and show us what it looks like.
Oh yeah and the headlights you got what was the brand? A buddy of mine just bought them for pretty cheap and they are green but when they are on you wouldnt know they were any different than stock.
haha thanks, if it stops raining ill plasti dip my emblems, new grille on the 14th, if your talking about the covers, they are avs from summit, the bulbs are xentech purple hid's and the eyelids are just some redvinyl from metrorestyling

Old 08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds pretty cool, glad my thread inspired you...haha... I think monstaliner is the way to go for the rocker bars especially, where I step up but don't hit the plastic in the middle of the bar i've worn away the plastidip, I may try to repair it once, then might have to try something different for that. I'll be real interested how hard that monstaliner is to put on. I've been thinking about doing below my doors and stuff too. My wheels that I plasti-dipped as well as the bumpers and grill are holding up great, no complaints at all and look awesome still. Just that damn rocker bar where I step and twist all the time. Good luck, sounds like a sweet project, looking forward to seeing some results!!

Quick Reply: blacking out the ram