3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need some advice. 2006 Hemi 5.7L

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Gibson_Junk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice. 2006 Hemi 5.7L

I used to play with cars but now I am looking to beef my 1500 Ram up. So I am looking for advice before I go out in town and have any work done.

My Truck

2006 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
Flowmaster 44 Exhaust (Not Dual)
Volant COI

The rest is stock.

What I think...THINK I need done

New Stale converter
Long Headers
Cam
Throttle Body

Further down the road
Supercharger (With new Tranny to support the power)

Advice on if I am close on what I need. The order I should do it in. The brand or type I should get.

I have about 5000 to put in parts this week. And then th other 8-10 For supercharge and tranny sometime next year. For anyone suggesting to just buy a new engine like the 392 I think it is no thank I want to work on this one. lol

Last edited by Gibson_Junk; 10-09-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 PM
sabin420
Captain

Parts for the truck are not necessarily cheap.
-The throttle body is just fine the way it is. You won't get much gains for your money their...especially if you put a supercharger kit on it down the road and have to change all that out anyways.
-If you are looking for power and speed, yes, the headers and cam and all is a great starting point.
-You have to check specs when you change out a cam. A lot of them require valve spring changes too.
-When you change the cam, it might be a good idea to replace lifters and push rods.
-It will also require a head gasket change because the lifters are underneath the heads.

So, after those upgrades, you will be down at least $2000 - 2500 in parts.

Then I would suggest going with a different rear diff. gear ratio. This will be where most of your acceleration gains will come from, then put the rest aside for the supercharger.

A little word of advice...if you got this much money set aside for building the truck, get yourself a spare motor from a junkyard or something and rebuild that one while you are currently driving on this one. Trust me...with a supercharger in the picture...keep a spare motor handy.

edit: I know from experience. You will try to push the motor too hard and blow out the bottom end. Except I started out my trials on cheap 4 cylinders. Went through 7 motors till it started costing more than $200 to replace the motor.

Last edited by sabin420; 10-09-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sabin420
-The throttle body is just fine the way it is. You won't get much gains for your money their...especially if you put a supercharger kit on it down the road and have to change all that out anyways.
-If you are looking for power and speed, yes, the headers and cam and all is a great starting point.
-You have to check specs when you change out a cam. A lot of them require valve spring changes too.
-When you change the cam, it might be a good idea to replace lifters and push rods.
-It will also require a head gasket change because the lifters are underneath the heads.
Trust me...with a supercharger in the picture...keep a spare motor handy.
Couldnt have said it any better.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Gibson_Junk

Originally Posted by sabin420

So, after those upgrades, you will be down at least $2000 - 2500 in parts.

Then I would suggest going with a different rear diff. gear ratio. This will be where most of your acceleration gains will come from, then put the rest aside for the supercharger.

A little word of advice...if you got this much money set aside for building the truck, get yourself a spare motor from a junkyard or something and rebuild that one while you are currently driving on this one. Trust me...with a supercharger in the picture...keep a spare motor handy.

edit: I know from experience. You will try to push the motor too hard and blow out the bottom end. Except I started out my trials on cheap 4 cylinders. Went through 7 motors till it started costing more than $200 to replace the motor.
Alright thanks for that bit. Definitely will look in for another spare motor I read about that actually. Also with rear diff I am looking at a higher ratio correct 4.10 vs 3.92?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM
sabin420
Captain

Yes,
higher number = more acceleration and less top speed. (more fun)
lower number = less acceleration and more top speed. (better fuel economy)
you are governed at 105 or something like that. Unless you can go faster than that in a QM, I don't see any need to take it off.

If you really want to go big, you will have to upgrade to a DANA60 rear axel or something like that. The largest the stock pumpkin can hold i believe is just over a 4:1 ratio.

Last edited by sabin420; 10-09-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Gibson_Junk

Gotcha, Will be going with More Fun lol

Will keep update and post pictures as I go in the corresponding section

Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are planning on going with a S/C or Turbo... you might want to seriously consider building the motor.

You will need:

* Pistons (8.0:1 to 9.0:1 Compression)
* Stronger Rods
* Race Bearings
* Cams (you will have to pick specs based on what S/C and goals you have in mind)
* All New Valve Springs & Push Rod Assemblies + Related Components
* NEW ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM & CUSTOM DYNO-TUNE! (Most Important!)
* New Gears & Trans to Support the power.

To be honest if I had allllll that $ to spend on my truck, I'd sell my truck and go buy a Diesel... Those are way more fun to play with than gasoline trucks, but that's just what I would do. Can't go wrong with upwards of 14:1 Compression AND a Turbo, he he he...

Good luck though... Definitely get a spare motor....

Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM
abarmby
Champion

Largest size rear for a 1500 is 4:56 : 1.
Don't forget. If your a 4x4 you will also need to do the front diff as well.
4:56 is the way to go on these Dodges.
As is often said on here and other forums..... "Don't fear the gear".
Oh and BTW....... Izero is correct about the diesels.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 10-10-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmby
largest size rear for a 1500 is 4:56 : 1.
Oh and btw....... Izero is correct about the diesels.
Al.
yes i am! :-d

Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Yep no kidding about the Diesel Izero, 600 bucks and somewhere north of 300 extra Hp on my buddies Dirtymax.
Now we just got to get the truck to keep up

Quick Reply: Need some advice. 2006 Hemi 5.7L