3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

LED floor lights.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
And you likely wasted 75 percent of your money. Sure they have good stuff. But I haven't seen an LED yet that wasn't made over seas
trust me i know, I've got tons of bulbs I order from chinese suppliers, but I just wanted to have the bulbs ready to plug in, and this didn't require me to buy from multiple sources.

I ended up spending quite a bit more since I bought a couple of other lights, so in the end I had to make 3 $25 minimum orders, but I got some other stuff non-truck related too.

I paid for convenience here.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:52 PM
o7rick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AliExpress is a good site to buy led at a cheap price bought 6blue 1 foot led strips for 11 dollars just saying

Old 12-24-2012, 05:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by o7rick
AliExpress is a good site to buy led at a cheap price bought 6blue 1 foot led strips for 11 dollars just saying
I've probably got 50 meters out in the shop and tons of scrap pieces left on rolls. How much do you want? Lol

Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

So, what was the end result? I'm planning on wiring up some lights in the floorboards that only come on whenever the dome light comes on as well, and I am trying to decide the best place to connect to, and what wire to use. I'm in a '06 Ram.

I'm going to hook directly to the wire that powers the dome light for my LED's, and someone mentioned a concern about power draw doing this. But it would take 50 LED's at 20mA to pull one extra amp, and as I'm not going to have more than that, I'm not really concerned about doing this.

Last edited by JoshuaAckley; 12-31-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
So, what was the end result? I'm planning on wiring up some lights in the floorboards that only come on whenever the dome light comes on as well, and I am trying to decide the best place to connect to, and what wire to use. I'm in a '06 Ram.

I'm going to hook directly to the wire that powers the dome light for my LED's, and someone mentioned a concern about power draw doing this. But it would take 50 LED's at 20mA to pull one extra amp, and as I'm not going to have more than that, I'm not really concerned about doing this.

Take your volt meter out and find the wire in the drivers side A pillar that has 12v with the door open and 0v when closed. This wire turns on your dome light. Wire the interior LEDs to this wire

Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

The wires you're looking for are in the A pillar. I forget the colours but I can look them up for you if need be. I just tied into them.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
The wires you're looking for are in the A pillar. I forget the colours but I can look them up for you if need be. I just tied into them.
Thanks to weedahoe and yourself, i was able to do a more specific search, and found the wire, so i think. I believe its the yellow blue wire.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Thanks to weedahoe and yourself, i was able to do a more specific search, and found the wire, so i think. I believe its the yellow blue wire.
in the A pillar?? I used BR and R/Y. They have power when the dome lights are active. R/Y is a ground.

Those wires run from the back of the cluster if I'm not mistaken, as the cluster acts as another computer. I didn't bother looking for which wires ran IN to the cluster to power that whole circuit though.

EDIT

I see you're driving an 06. Your wiring is probably right but I don't know for sure.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
in the A pillar?? I used BR and R/Y. They have power when the dome lights are active. R/Y is a ground.

Those wires run from the back of the cluster if I'm not mistaken, as the cluster acts as another computer. I didn't bother looking for which wires ran IN to the cluster to power that whole circuit though.

EDIT

I see you're driving an 06. Your wiring is probably right but I don't know for sure.
Is that wire a constant on? I see where weedahoe says it should only have power when the door is open or unlocked with the remote. If it works off a negative switch, that might be a wrench in my plans. I am wiring up separate power sources to a relay to do some switching.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Is that wire a constant on? I see where weedahoe says it should only have power when the door is open or unlocked with the remote. If it works off a negative switch, that might be a wrench in my plans. I am wiring up separate power sources to a relay to do some switching.

No the brown wire is only live when the dome lights are on. so when the door is open, when you turn it on and when it fades out.

When I checked there was 3.3v on the line when it was "off" and 12.3V when it was on.

You could still use that as a trigger for the relay coil if you wanted lights to be on with the dome lights, but the fading will cause relay chatter for a few seconds. You can solve this with a voltage regulator and a couple resistors.

Quick Reply: LED floor lights.........