3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Aftermarket Halos for DRL's - wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Halos for DRL's - wiring?

I didn't get much feedback from a previous post, but I'm looking at the headlights that are sold as replacements that have halos on them that function as daytime running lights. They all seem to mention that special wiring may need to be done but I'm not sure what or how. I've checked youtube for some videos but am still not clear. My 04 does not have any daytime running light function. Does anyone know how these get wired to function that way or if it is possible? Or would I have to wire the halo's to the parking lights and they would only come on when I turn on the parking lights? This, of course, would also keep my tails on and I don't really want that.

I'm not stuck on these lights but my son really likes them. If there is no real way to get them to function as true DRL's, I'll probably just go with some smoked housings or something.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

From what i remember you can either run the positive to a fuse or tie the positive into the power wire going to the light.
If you run it to a fuse the "Halo"comes on with the truck.(I have Mine like this)
Sometimes i dont run my headlights when im supposed to and just have my fogs on with the "Halo" Lights on. But if you just tie the positive into the power wire going into the Headlight it obviously only lets the lights come on with the Headlight, i thought that was a waste and thats why i ended up running them to a fuse. Only trick is you have to find a fuse that dosent get power until the key is turned.

I hope that helps a little

Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have never had anyone ask me enable to them before, so I can't confrm or deny this. It IS an option on a bunch of other models though. This was a release from 2004 >>>

DRL ENABLE/DISABLE (DR) The function to configure the status of daytime running lamps for DR with the DRB® is found by selecting "Body Interior" then "FCM/IPM" then "Miscellaneous". The function is called "Enable DRL". The function is implemented for all DR, except those with country code configuration for Canada, as DRL is required by law and should never be disabled for the Canadian market. (FCM auto learns DRL configuration and duty cycle from Canada country code.) Although the "Enable DRL" function has appeared in the DRB® in the past, it was discovered recently that it did not function properly. Recent revisions to the software have made it functional. The revised version of the function is first available on DRB® version 60.0, ("in dealer date" is scheduled for 6/21/04).
This is how they are driven

Power is reduced using pulse-width modulation to the high beams, where by the power is switched on and off rapidly instead of remaining on continuously. The duration and interval of the power pulses is programmed into the Front Control Module (FCM).
It would be nice if DRL was a separate output circuit but it's not.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-31-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:59 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have access to a StarScan Tool and have "played around" with settings on my '04. I can confirm that DRLs can be turned on by selecting Canada as the country code (as well as some other countries on the list as well).

But no, there is no independent setting for DRLs on the '04 as there is with the TIPM models (06+). Sadly for me, there is also no setting on the '04 for fogs on with high beams (which is why I have the DIY wire in the FAQ section). With the TIPM models you can enable that feature as well...

Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Hammer, I did your fog mod and still have it configured that way. So, they come on even when i turn on my parking lights. I don't want the headlights to function as DRL's, just the halo's/LED's. They come with separate wiring but I'm not sure where I can wire them to such that the halo's come on when the truck is started.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
Hammer, I did your fog mod and still have it configured that way. So, they come on even when i turn on my parking lights. I don't want the headlights to function as DRL's, just the halo's/LED's. They come with separate wiring but I'm not sure where I can wire them to such that the halo's come on when the truck is started.
A fuse. But it wont be when the truck is started it will be when the key is flipped forward. Unless there is a fuse that dosent get power until the truck is running.

Like i said in my orginal post.

I ran both my power wires from each light to a fuse and just grounded the ground. Its simple

Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg

Oh hell that's easy.... Simply tap into ANY unused relay socket that shows hot with ignition using a simple, $10 meter or even a $5 light tester (with wire probes) for that matter.

That's how I wired my e-fan, only exception is I have a temp probe that will cut the fan off/on at certain radiator temps.

If you need a pic of what socket on an '04, I can snap a pic of where I ran the red fan (+) wire...

Old 11-01-2012, 04:29 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

A pic would be great. I've got a meter. Should I be able to run juice to both sets of halos from the same circuit?

I understand it will likely be when the key is turned, not just when the engine is actually running.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Here, the top wire that's in the open relay socket...

Name:  0722091649.jpg
Views: 2947
Size:  99.5 KB

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Halos for DRL's - wiring?