3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tires, brakes, shocks, REVIEWS.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM
jdpartsman
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires, brakes, shocks, REVIEWS.

Awhile back I dropped my load on a ton of new stuff for my truck. New Cooper Zeon LTZ (stock size 275/60/20) Brakemotive drilled and slotted rotors and performance pads. And lastly Rancho RS5000 shocks.

Tires-Love them. Sure, alittle louder on the road then bald stockers, not bad at all. Grip everywhere is very good. Can't wait to see how they do on snow, providing we get any this year.

Brakes-hit and miss. First off, I didn't know a heavy truck with 33" tires could stop this good! From 60 MPH it's almost crazy. It feels like the front bumper is on the ground and the rear tires are off the ground. The tires squeal but don't slide (ABS work'n hard) In short, braking is greatly improved over stock. The Bad- they are noisy. When I back out of the driveway they squalk like a chicken. It's not until I use them some that they quiet up. Not sure what to think.

Shocks-don't really like. I knew when I bought them that some don't like as it makes the truck ride stiff. Well, I will agree with them. Not a problem at hyway speeds, but at slow city speeds small bumps in the road feel big. Truck clunks alot more then it used to. They are RS5274 (rear) and RS5373 (front) as I had the truck leveled which I know will make it ride alittle stiffer as well. Might have to go back to stock?

Overall, happy with everything for the most part, might need alittle tweek'n to make perfect.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 PM
sabin420
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good review...

I like A/T tires as I need to climb steep hills every once in a while and they do better in snow than street tires. Narrow tires are best for snow and ice. I got Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/17

Brakes - I got the same thing you got. I actually paid $20 less than it cost to replace my stock rotors and pads. They squeal. Could be the pads, could be not enough stop-squeak. I'm keeping with the drilled and slotted rotors cause they did not warp like my stock ones did when I hauled a heavy load. I'd like to try a different brake pad with these rotors tho.

Shocks - I got basic Monroe shocks put on mine. Yes it stiffened the ride some, but that was because the old shocks were worn and able to allow the tire to move easier. Old shocks caused the front end to sag in turns. I can deal with the bumps at low speeds in order to be able to not slide out of the seat around corners. lol. The stiff ride could be because you have gotten used to the weaker, worn out shocks. Shocks should be changed every 60-100K miles depending on how rough you are with the suspension.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

im thinking of getting these exact shocks(RS5000), but now im wondering if i should get them or not....

Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Five.SevenRAM
im thinking of getting these exact shocks(RS5000), but now im wondering if i should get them or not....
I had them on my old 2nd Gen and liked them, BUT I'm old school and am one that still believes a truck should feel like a truck. They are a nitrogen filled, off-road shock, so they will be a good bit stiffer than stock.

If you are the type that uses your truck to carry a loaf of bread from the local grocery to the house - do not get this shock. You'll be happier with a hydrogen filled or mono-tube shock...

Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

hammer, i take it off the beaten path every so often. and i too think i a truck needs to ride like a truck. thanks for the input.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I might also add that I have the newer, higher-end RS9000XLs on my 3rd Gen which are selectable with 10 firmness settings, although I installed mine when I did the lift and set them at the 8th position (2 away from the stiffest) and have never touched them since. This may be a viable alternative in an off-road shock. They even make a kit that lets you adjust the settings from inside the cab if you want to shell out the bucks for it...

Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 PM
jdpartsman
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In conclusion, I intend to get softer shocks at some point in time. I will point out that I did take my truck off road hunt'n the other day and it road like it should, I just want a better ride on the street which is 95% of my driving. My fault, no big deal.

Any suggestions on a softer riding shock? I was thinking Monroe Sensa-Trac or Monroe-Mantic?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Lot of 4x2, strictly street owners have lots of good things to say about the Sensa-Tracs. I agree with your assessment, the RS5000 is really at home off-road but if you are looking for a more car-like ride on pavement it can be a little harsh. Of course, a bit of weight in the bed will smooth this shock out over the road.

You can also opt for a hydrogen filled "off-road" shock like a ProComp ES3000, Skyjacker or Rough Country Hydro series. Still give you decent off-road/hauling handling in a softer shock. Hydrogen is far less dense than Nitrogen so as a rule of thumb - Hydrogen filled = softer, Nitrogen filled = firmer...

Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 AM
sabin420
Captain

Monroe Sensa-Tracs are great for the road and can handle that 5% off road without a problem. Nothing extreme though. It will come down to the tires off-road. I got em. I use mine off-road just about as much as you do. A set of A/T tires is the most you should need.

Quick Reply: Tires, brakes, shocks, REVIEWS.