3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I just busted up my rims...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

All I can say is ...........

OUCH!!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

****ty deal man

Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, I'm still pretty peeved about it, go figure this would happen. I was driving responsibly and slowly and boom, patch of snow/ice BEFORE it's even really started snowing, right in front of my place.

I found two rims on kijiji for $200 which is a great deal, except that I don't have $200.....so just some more salt on the wound lol.

The weird part is that I can't even find TRACES of the broken parts of the rim. I've checked around the area and on the road and nothing, no metal shards or pieces....nothing.

Nothing else seems damaged though. Initially when I parked it there was some coolant spillage, but none on the road, and it doesn't look like the rad suffered any damage so I think it just spilled out the overflow hose.
The suspension seems ok also, it looks to be built pretty solidly down there so it appears the rim has taken the entire force of the crash and sacrificed itself to protect everythign else

Old 11-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be worse... you could have ended up with no more truck... anyways... if you're strapped for cash, go open a student credit card with your bank, buy some wheels and tires and pay them off over some time... thats the best option you have really...

Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

Owning a gas guzzler and not having cash for 2 tank fulls laying around. Id park that thing and get an old corolla.

Depending on the circumstances of the crash area, you may or maynot have had the option to steer the wheels into the curb to drive over it instead of away from it. Would hate to hit something past the curb, but if nothings there, its always a rim saving option.

Edit: Oh ya, and i went to Fanshawe too, back in 2004. Lived in London for 2 years, fun college town, but dead end for any good jobs. Thats why I live in AB.

Last edited by Got_Mitch; 11-26-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by Izero
could be worse... you could have ended up with no more truck... anyways... if you're strapped for cash, go open a student credit card with your bank, buy some wheels and tires and pay them off over some time... thats the best option you have really...
I don't need any more debt. I'm down $5000 on a student credit line.

Originally Posted by Got_Mitch
Owning a gas guzzler and not having cash for 2 tank fulls laying around. Id park that thing and get an old corolla.

Depending on the circumstances of the crash area, you may or maynot have had the option to steer the wheels into the curb to drive over it instead of away from it. Would hate to hit something past the curb, but if nothings there, its always a rim saving option.

Edit: Oh ya, and i went to Fanshawe too, back in 2004. Lived in London for 2 years, fun college town, but dead end for any good jobs. Thats why I live in AB.
I took my Cougar off the road for the truck. There were reasons for buying it instead of another car.

I wasn't sure about trying to drive up over the curb, I know if I had hit the curb trying to go over it in my car I'd end up with a busted up front end and no vehicle. I tried to let off the brakes knowing in my car it would cause it to veer off in the direction I was steering.

I made several mistakes here:

1) I had time to hit the 4x4 shifter and give it gas, hopefully pulling my front end away. This was an afterthought.

2) I should have tried to go up over the curb

3) I shouldn't have steered away trying to veer in the opposite direction. This works with a 3,666Lb car, but apparently 6000Lbs still wants to keep going straight.

What do they have in Alberta for electromechanical engineers? I'm hoping to get SOMETHING local so I can get back on finanical track, then expand out and move somewhere else that jobs actually exist.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

Well for EME jobs on Alberta Id can only assume theres 5x more job postings here for it then out there. The oil out here pays for the majority of peoples wages, directly or in direct.

Couldnt tell you much about your jobs in this areas besides the fact that they would almost certainly pay a considerable amount more here then out east. Living costs are higher though. Oil anything job is good pay.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Off-Topic but: how do you get the Fuelly thing in your signature? I just signed up and can't figure it out....

Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

With the links to share on facebook, RSS etc, there is an icon that looks like a shield....click it.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Jareski
Veteran

Is there any way to claim insurance on it? I dunno. I'm not up on insurance stuff, so is it something that can even be done?

If you're not good financially, try it.

Quick Reply: I just busted up my rims...