3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

despise the 4.7...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 AM
mcj198217
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy despise the 4.7...

i have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with unfortunately the very weak 4.7...i have been having quite a few problems with it...first my water pump shelled out, destroyed my serpentine belt...so once i got it towed to the house, i changed the water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt and all of the fluids...the truck ran good for about a month and a half and then it started to overheat...well needless to say, i blew a head gasket and warped my heads...so i took it somewhere to get it looked at and report it to my warranty company, that was a waste of time...so they were wanting to charge me $8800 for a reman'd 4.7...i told them to p1$$ off...so i got it towed back to my house again...took the heads in, and got them checked out, milled, and got a valve job done...bought all of the gaskets and everything i needed and took it to another shop but they wouldnt do the work...so i deployed for 2 months for the Air Force and when i got back i decided that i would try to do all the work myself...
got the heads on and torqued, put it all back together but it wouldnt start...timing got all out of wack...investigated and realized that the shop pulled the primary chain sprocket bolt...bought all new timing guides, chains and tensioners...put it all back together with the timing perfect...still wont start...it will turn over but wont start...im at my wits end...i absolutely love my truck...i dont want to get rid of it...id rather just swap the motor...

Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

if you've got the $$, swap in a hemi, sounds like you've got the mechanical know how to do it, there are lot's of engine swap threads to get you going on here. That's one of the reasons i don't like the 4.7, warping those heads when it overheats. Hard to diagnose exactly what's wrong, you've got a lot going on there. Maybe someone else will have an idea, but good luck with it.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

How many miles and when the water pump went out, did you drive it without or low on coolant? All aluminum headed engines will warp or blow a gasket without enough coolant. Hell, $500k Ferraris burn up if they are starved of coolant.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

My next step would be to make sure all the FI wires and fittings are connected properly. I haven't worked on a 4.7L, but also if I were in the checking mood, I'd check the coil pack(s) to make sure it was getting spark. Timing, spark, fuel; that's the first culprits. After that, how about the crank sensor?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

Sounds like something did not get plugged back in or popped a fuse so it will not start.. Crank or cam sensor. one controlls spark timing the other fuel timing..

Quick Reply: despise the 4.7...