3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Nav/radio display doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Snowmizer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav/radio display doesn't work

I know everyone is going to say do a search. Well I did using every term I could think of and couldn't get a hit soooo..... My problem is that once it gets cooler out, the display on my radio/cd/nav player doesn't light up. When this happens, none of the control buttons will work. It will be stuck on whatever station or function it was on previously. There are times when it will eventually come on after about 30 min. Then everything works fine. Other times it will take way longer. In the summer, it will come on within 2 min. Dealer said I have to replace the unit. I don't have $1600 to just spend on a radio. There has to be a fix since it is a random problem. This is an OEM radio, by the way. 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:38 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Originally Posted by Snowmizer
I know everyone is going to say do a search. Well I did using every term I could think of and couldn't get a hit soooo..... My problem is that once it gets cooler out, the display on my radio/cd/nav player doesn't light up. When this happens, none of the control buttons will work. It will be stuck on whatever station or function it was on previously. There are times when it will eventually come on after about 30 min. Then everything works fine. Other times it will take way longer. In the summer, it will come on within 2 min. Dealer said I have to replace the unit. I don't have $1600 to just spend on a radio. There has to be a fix since it is a random problem. This is an OEM radio, by the way. 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel.
So you have the OEM Double Din radio?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Snowmizer

Originally Posted by itsUhHemi
So you have the OEM Double Din radio?
Well, I don't know the official name, but it has Nav/Am-Fm/6 player CD and Satellite. I call it a POS right now.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Well, I don't know the official name, but it has Nav/Am-Fm/6 player CD and Satellite. I call it a POS right now.
Well if you already have a double din radio in your truck then you should be able to go to a local audio shop and get a new double din and it will fit. An aftermarket double din radio will cost anywhere from $400-$800 bucks depending on if you want to keep navigation/bluetooth/etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Snowmizer

Just wondering if anybody else experienced this and what did they do to correct it. I read somewhere about an orange wire but can't remember where.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Just wondering if anybody else experienced this and what did they do to correct it. I read somewhere about an orange wire but can't remember where.
Yes the orange wire control illumination. However if it works some times then doesn't work other times I don't see how 1 wire can be the problem. It's not very hard to pull the radio out, you might as well go ahead and check all the wires.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Jareski
Veteran

These rams are a pain to get at the radio as far as I know. Take apart the whole central dash. Lol.

My old Nissan pickup had like 2 screws. Now that was easy.

And my cd player doesn't really work past -30 Celsius, which has been a lot lately. Luckily the radio still functions.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Originally Posted by Jareski
These rams are a pain to get at the radio as far as I know. Take apart the whole central dash. Lol.

My old Nissan pickup had like 2 screws. Now that was easy.

And my cd player doesn't really work past -30 Celsius, which has been a lot lately. Luckily the radio still functions.
No they are not hard. The whole middle bezel is one piece that pops out from the truck. Then the radio is just held in by 4 screws.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Jareski
Veteran

Originally Posted by itsUhHemi
No they are not hard. The whole middle bezel is one piece that pops out from the truck. Then the radio is just held in by 4 screws.
Oh! That's not too bad.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Snowmizer

Ok, just for ****s and giggles, does anybody know of any aftermarket double din radios that will fit exact to the bezel and mounts? Looking for an AM/FM, Sat, Nav, and 6 player cd combo unit. I can't see spending $1600 for a factory unit. Can't see spending that much for any radio period.

Quick Reply: Nav/radio display doesn't work