3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

An Abnormal Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 PM
SawFan862
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Abnormal Exhaust Question

Hello guys,

Well I am looking on opinions for after market mufflers on the quiet side. I know most are probably thinking why would I want such a thing. Unfortunately I live in Mass, where technically anything over stock is not legal. Luckily around my area, we have some reasonable people when it comes to bending this rule. But even last year with a flowmaster 70 big block it was close to pass. Does any one no of any solutions maybe either adding resonators or a differently muffler?

I dont want to revert to stock because I like the dual look, and the extra flow.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I imagine a Magnaflow oval in the 26" length or up would be pretty quiet. Looking at your truck though, I'd say a quiet exhaust would really neuter it!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 AM
SawFan862
Amateur

Trust me if Mass didnt have any exhaust laws id be back with a two chamber.

Is the magnaflow 26 a chambered muffler? Right now the flowmaster I have is a three chamber muffler.

Also I thoight about this after, what about resonators?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that sucks, I don't even run mufflers on my vehicles. My car was ok (V8) but the truck is MUCH louder..... your state would kill me.

I could still get fined for it here though, it depends on the cop, the mood they're in and how loud they think it is. I haven't had problems yet though.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM
ron333
Captain

Nobody seems to run Spintechs on their trucks but me... I have one on my truck and it is pretty quiet at idle, but is somewhat noticeable under throttle. When I first had it installed, I left the original resonator on that was located next to the spare tire in the back and the exhaust was too quiet for what I wanted so I had it removed. The one I have is the "Sportsman XL" if memory serves me correctly. I'll see if I can find the info on it and post it when I do.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:08 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

resonator will definitely reduce sound. I might consider that route since you have a muffler already that you are more or less happy with.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM
SawFan862
Amateur

I think I am going to go with the resonator route. I already am bring the truck in to my shop over the weekend to tackle some other things. I think I am going to look into redoing the entire tail pip section so I can use my spare tire carrier. Thanks for the input everyone. Anyone have any recomendations for a resonator.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by SawFan862
Trust me if Mass didnt have any exhaust laws id be back with a two chamber.

Is the magnaflow 26 a chambered muffler? Right now the flowmaster I have is a three chamber muffler.

Also I thoight about this after, what about resonators?
No, Flowmaster's chambered design restricts exhaust flow and causes more backpressure. The sound you get from a Rustmaster is at the expense of performance, as most of the mufflers they make flow less than stock. Magnaflow does not make any chambered mufflers, and their sound is great without the "drone."

That aside though, a resonator would help you, but I don't know by how much. I suppose it depends on how much louder than legal you are right now.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by SawFan862
Hello guys,

Well I am looking on opinions for after market mufflers on the quiet side. I know most are probably thinking why would I want such a thing. Unfortunately I live in Mass, where technically anything over stock is not legal. Luckily around my area, we have some reasonable people when it comes to bending this rule. But even last year with a flowmaster 70 big block it was close to pass. Does any one no of any solutions maybe either adding resonators or a differently muffler?

I dont want to revert to stock because I like the dual look, and the extra flow.

The quietest aftermarket muffler I have run on my truck was a dynomax super turbo 3 inch in 2 2 1/2 inch out. Very quiet inside and out

Quick Reply: An Abnormal Exhaust Question