3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Changed my thermostat today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changed my thermostat today...

My truck takes a LONG time to heat up, after idling or holding at 1500rpm for 10 mins to warm it up, it's still cold, then driving it a trip of about 20km or so, it STILL isn't hot.

After driving it for a while the heat comes out nice, then at some point switches to the heat from hell and I'm sure that flames come shooting out. (no overheating though)

So I figured it might be the thermostat, what could it hurt to change it. I've done it on other cars, it's about $5 and MAYBE an hour of time.

Well I sure was surprised when I found out that not only is the thermostat on the bottom of the engine, there is no drain valve.

2 hours later, spilled coolant, freezing fingers and the taste of coolant in my mouth I finally got it done.

WTF Chrysler, who puts thermostats on the bottom of the engine.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeppers... Takes 5 minutes on the Hemi because it's up top. Did the 180* Jet about six or seven years ago. Caught what little coolant spilled in a paper dixie cup.

I had to do the one in my old Grand Cherokee (4.7 HO) because the gasket took a sh*t and with it on the bottom it was a royal PIA...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-24-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

The worst part is it's one of those jobs that if you jump into it assuming things you get screwed.

I should have avoided it when I realized there was no drain ****. but by the time I had some of the bottom hose off and had coolant leaking out it becomes a matter of "well, I can't quit now".

and I'm not even sure if there was anything wrong with the old thermostat but it seemed to be a good place to start.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

I, too, thought it odd that the 'stat was at the bottom. Sure makes you drain the system, though.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
I, too, thought it odd that the 'stat was at the bottom. Sure makes you drain the system, though.

yes....yes it does. all over your face, the ground, and if your lucky some gets in the bucket underneath.

Why is there no drain spout? Why is there no "fluid channel" like their is under the oil filter? why does it have to be so hard to do such a simple thing?! as someone with training in the engineering field I believe I can safely say, THIS IS WRONG YOU IDIOTS.

Last edited by GRNDPNDR; 01-24-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Changed my thermostat today...